Friday 4 May 2007

Friday.

Most peculiar day. Went into local hospital at first light (well, 8.30 am if you want to be pedantic) for an exploratory op which should remain anonymous, but in these lax and easy going days I don't suppose I shall shock anyone much by stating it was a colonoscopy. Had to prepare for it yesterday afternoon by imbibing THREE litres of noxious rat poison, which in REAL liquid measure is over half a gallon. This is why there was no entry in my blog yesterday, because as my tonsils were awash with the stuff, whenever I started to move towards the consol I found myself swaying from side to side and making sploshing noises. Back to this morning. The chap in charge of the op told me that he was going to 'slightly sedate' me as the op could be a bit painful. I do remember him injecting the back of my hand and then a nurse was trying to wake me up from the deepest sleep I can recall. I only agreed to resurface on her promising me cups of tea and biccies if I would sit up for them (remember that by this time I had been fasting for about 20 hours). Before the op they had said I could watch it on the monitor. I don't much like anyone inspecting my private insides, but if it's going to be done I think I've a right to a ringside seat if you see what I mean, but I'd slept soundly through the whole performance. Most disappointing. Still, they told us afterwards that I was completely clear -'nothing sinister' was the phrase. So then I took Ann off to the canteen and restored the average intake to some extent. Complete waste of a morning. Slept this afternoon, can't think why. Done a little work this evening. Still a bit tired, so good night all.

8 comments:

Crowbard said...

Not surprised there was no entry to your bog yesterday.
Queer lot these NHS johnnies, seem to want to be forever sticking things up other people to no practical purpose whatever. Glad you had a good kip, the scenes from my cameras where very uninspiring with much the same response as you got. Time wasters the lot of 'em.

Nea said...

This has absolutely nothing to do with your Friday post, but I found a
link
(click on the word link and roll down to Craig Jenkins comment, if this doesn't work let me know)
on another blog and followed it.
I know talking about it is a bit taboo, but I doubt they have learned to blog yet so:
What is the correct and safest procedure to follow when in the presence of Black Shuck?
And, if you haven't already fainted, could you tell us if you have ever seen it?

Nea said...

This has absolutely nothing to do with your Friday post, but I found a
link
(click on the word link and roll down to Craig Jenkins comment, if this doesn't work let me know)
on another blog and followed it.
I know talking about it is a bit taboo, but I doubt they have learned to blog yet so:
What is the correct and safest procedure to follow when in the presence of Black Shuck?
And, if you haven't already fainted, could you tell us if you have ever seen it?

Nea said...

Sorry about that, Blogger fooled me into thinking I hadn't published that comment. Spooky!

Unknown said...

Cannot remember Mr. Jenkins, but from his comments he certainly knows that area. I don't know of any modern cases of anyone being physically harmed by the subject under discussion, but I would still imagine that the best procedure would be not to look, and to get indoors at once. Still a bit taboo as you say, so I would prefer to answer your last question verbally on a winter's evening behind closed doors, with a good fire going and a glass in my hand.

Crowbard said...

I've never seen the shuck-dog although I heard of him back in the 1950s. I believe the word shock has a similar semantic origin although shook is nearer in phonetic origin.
If you should ever meet with same I would recommend you invoke Bas't the Egyptian feline Goddess who is protective of humans and at least you'd see a helluva scrap before he gotya. Personally I think Bas't would see him off for good. As a last resort cast a vertical pentacle, drawn widdershins from the top point with an overlap on the final leg and double around it with a circle and project the pentacle at Black shuck. This should completely diminish his ferocity and quench the orange glow from his eyes. Failing that throw a stick and shout 'Fetch!'

Nea said...

Thanks M+A and Crowbard I feel slightly better prepared now.

Unknown said...

Of course I can't remember Mr. Jenkins. Have just rechecked his entry and I had left the area when he was there. Sorry.