Sunday 6 May 2007

Saturday/Sunday.

At 2pm had time for one game of scrabble with my usual three opponents. Modesty of course forbids me to tell who won, but I avenged last weeks crushing defeat. Then on to this year's last session of stewarding at the art exhibition. Usually as dead as several dodos on the last day but a very busy afternoon which flew past. I was on the door selling catalogues and Felicity, the Dean's wife had printed a quiz for me to hand out to children, the questions all concerning the pictures, the idea being to give the little dears something interesting to keep them quiet. Counter productive. One enterprising young gentleman's first question was ;- "what's the prize?" Thinking on my feet I came back with "There isn't a prize because entry to this quiz is free" This slight non-sequitor seemed to satisfy him pro tem, but he was back ten minutes later to complain that he couldn't find the answer to some of the questions. As I wasn't too busy at the time I took him off to point out the more obvious answers. Had gone about two steps when I spotted Felicity and seeing the obvious solution to the problem, introduced him to 'the lady who set this clever quiz' and left them to it. I just hope Felicity could remember the answers.
Today, Sunday. Morning service . Both of us choired. Ann set off earlier than I to help a friend of ours , who has just had a knee job done, get dressed. After service popped into Eileen's to wind clock. Behaving better. Clock not me. After lunch to Deanery Lodge, where gardens were open in aid of Red Cross. Very pleasant afternoon. Lovely gardens sweeping down to river. Met up with Janet and Ozzy Simpson, who are both gardening afficiendoes (that plural doesn't look right- not sure the word is either but it sounds good so will leave it in) and were able to tell us the names of everything. Ann has just called down to say "supper in five." so had better knock off. Good night.

3 comments:

Crowbard said...

Possibly 'officianados' but it's an Hispanic term so you can spell it as you will in English. It's probably racist of me but I consider there is enough Mediterranean influence in the English language without importing more. We've had the Latinate word expert for 2000 years, why add a Spanish word with similar pompous know-all overtones? Sorry, too late, I see it has already arrived. We'll all be talking Hindi next, saying things like bungalow or pyjamas and dhobi-wallah! Bah! Humph! So there!

Unknown said...

Yes, see your point. When I said officiendes I probably meant haciendas. Or something.

Nea said...

Yeah, hasta la vista hombres, or something.