Thursday 14 February 2008

Thursday.

On tuesday's blog I said that I'd been putting off a job that I was feeling a bit apprehensive about. Well, I did the job yesterday morning. It took me, in all, about 15 minutes and went well. I woke up yesterday morning knowing that there might be an easier and more effective way to do the job. There was; it involved hitting the clock hand (from a rather fine 18th century longcase clock) with a hammer. I won't go into finer detail as it would involve giving away trade secrets and might indeed worry the owner if she ever reads this blog. As so often happens it meant redoing work done previously (and badly) by someone else who hadn't thought things through. Today John and Ann C.T. came over for coffee and stayed on for a 'soupy' lunch. It consisted of celeriac soup (made by Ann with chicken stock and celeriac), new bread (again, made by Ann this morning, and a cheese board (mainly a decentish cheddar). It was lovely to see them, and Ann seemed a good deal brighter. John was in his usual good form and told us rather more about his stay in hospital in Antigua. This reminded me of a limerick I once read :- A certain young bride from Antigua once said to her spouse "What a pig you are". He said "Oh my queen, is it manners you mean, or do you refer to my figuah ?" It is one of Wodehouse's lighter efforts. This was very apt as John is really a character from Wodehouse. He didn't really remember it, but thinks Uncle Fred, from Uncle Fred in the springtime, recited it. That was as near as I could get to. Must close as we're going to see an exhibish (Wodehouse influence still at work) in the Ansell Room called 'Love is....' 'Bye all.

3 comments:

Nea said...

As long as it works

Nea said...

...I meant hitting it with the hammer.

Unknown said...

Sounds worse that it was. It meant some slight reshaping to ensure a tight fit. It was complicated by a previous attempt at a brazed repair to the hand, and a good deal of misguided filing to the brass square on which it was mounted. Latest repair (mine) seems to have been successful so far. Love to all, Pa.