Saturday 29 March 2008

Saturday.

This is a snapshot of Saxstead post mill taken from our car window about a year ago. Impressive, isn't it ? I remember reading as a boy a poem about a windmill, It starts ' I am monarch of all I survey ....' and I always think it must refer to a tower mill and although this one is the earlier and more primitive post mill it's still pretty dignified; well, sure of itself anyway. Yesterday we went by coach to London to see the Terracotta Army Exhibition at the British Museum. It was very interesting, but I really know very little of Chinese history. The one thing I found really of use and interest was that I was able to have a good, close look at a bronze crossbow lock. Curiously, after looking at the exhibition, we went for a walk, and I looked in the window of a shop that deals in antiquities (it's been there for 45 years to my knowledge - I was pleasantly surprised to find it still in business) and in the window was a Chinese bronze crossbow lock exactly like the one in the B.M. exhibition. It was priced at £240 which was not unreasonable, and rather put the exhibition stuff in it's place. I don't know why I didn't go in and buy it, except perhaps that I was not in buying mode, but in day out and looking mode. We then walked to Ann's old training hospital, The Royal London Homeoepathic (hope I've spelled that right) Hospital, then back to the back door of the British Museum where we picked up the coach home. I slept most of the way home, and am now going to do some more (sleeping that is). Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Crowbard said...

Hi Mike,
As I recall, the latinate compound vowel is oe (pronounced ee) followed by another o. as in homoeopathic. But your meaning is clear either way and standardized spelling has only been around for two or three centuries and has rarely caught on or been given much consideration except by unimaginative fuss-pots.

Mr Martin said...

Hi Mike and Ann

Thanks for reminding me about the blog when I saw you the other day - I will have to catch up with my reading!

See you on Friday when I will try to rid your PC of the "demons" !!!

Craig