Thursday 9 October 2008

Thursday.

I seem to have been taking photoes of Suffolk pubs lately. This one was recommended by Sue and David Parker - not so much as a watering hole as because it has recently reopened as a vegetarian restaurant. We called in for lunch there yesterday on our way home from Stowmarket where I'd been for a haircut. I took my barber (who collects guns) an early 19th century Irish shotflask. When he asked how much it would set him back, I was able to reply 'Ten pounds and a haircut', to which he agreed . To return to the Red Lion (which I would think it's customers invariably do) Sue and David are right, it's food is excellent. It was a lovely day, and we lunched outside in a sheltered, but sunny, corner of the garden.We had filo parcels of....... oh! nuts and beans and pine kernels and stuff, in a mustard and cress sauce, and beautifully done (and served) fresh vegetables, and a dish of pomme de spud au gratin. It was all mouth wateringly tasty. Afterwards I told the young lady who served us ( I think the landlady) that with food like that I could very easily become a convinced vegetarian, provided they'd let me have a joint of beef occasionally to keep me healthy. She looked a bit doubtful about the last bit (and a customer at the bar nearby snorted into his beer), but I think she took the compliment in the spirit in which it was intended. Nice to find a place like that, and shall bear it in mind when in that area. Lunch time, must knock off now. More later perhaps.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Nea said...

More snorts, into tea, not beer.

Pa, a wegeterian? Nuts! I'll believe it if you turn into a fruit cake first.

Unknown said...

Thou disrespectful daughter! I enjoyed Govinda's restaurant, didn't I? Still, I think you're right. I'm an omnivore (if that's a good word).