Friday 13 March 2009

Friday.

Droopy tulips. I always think that tulips, as they open indoors, assume very graceful (not to say affected) postures. Is it my imagination or do these look slightly threatening, like those Greek females in classical mythology who had snakes instead of hair? (the Hydra??) Now stop it, Mike, these are really handsome tulips, drooping gracefully like Dutch still lifes.
Drove into Ipswich this morning to have annual check up on my stainless steel and plastic knee joint which was put in four years ago. Last year I was told it was wearing out too fast, and I told them that as I'm a young, active, virile bloke, of course I was wearing it out. They didn't seem altogether persuaded by my reasoning, but anyway this year it's no worse, so I'm to go and see them in a year's time. Anyway it's given me another four years of activity so far, and as it's reasonably comfortable, leave it alone, say I, on the principal of: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. After we left the hospital we motored up to Snape and went to the antique centre in the Maltings. Found and purchased half a dozen small bits, one of which we'll probably keep, then went and had lunch in the new 'Metfield Restaurant' there, on Sue's recommendation. Food was very good, but owing to modern fashion for bare wood floors, and high ceilings open to the rafters, it was VERY noisy. Quite expensive, too. Two ploughmens' lunches and four coffees came to £28 (£31 by the time I'd tipped ). But, in fairness, probably the best plowman's lunch I'd ever had. We then drove on to Aldeburgh and walked along the sea front. Pale, watery sunshine, but we couldn't see the sea because of a thick sea mist (a 'haar' in Norfolk, or a 'dag' in Suffolk - in both the vowel sounds are elongated, three aaas in each). I'm very sorry I forgot to take the camera with us. I was reduced, when we got home, to taking photoes around the garden, and (as above) in the house, some of which will be inflicted on you over the next few days. Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anne said...

what lovely tulips and what beautiful pictures on your blog. Your culture seems really interesting. I'm from the states. I just happened to come across your blog so I'd thought I'd leave a comment.

Unknown said...

Thank you Anne. All comments gratefully received.
Regards, Mike.

Unknown said...

P.s. I've just had a quick whizz through your blog, and promised myself a better look in the morning.
My wife, too, is known as Granny Annie. We have eleven grandchildren, but we're rather older than you, so you may eventually catch us up.
Regards, Mike and Ann.

The Preacherman said...

Those tulips look dangerous!!! The Day Of The Triffids?....Guard your eyes!!! ;-)

My mother has had various bits and pieces replaced. Knees, hips, teeth. The teeth were the worst. I turned up oop north and she looked like Jaws out of James Bond. Metal inserts that had to wait a week or two for the teeth. I had nightmares for weeks!!!

Bloody bionic that woman is....

Antique shops rule!!! Spend hours and money I can't afford in 'em.

Maggie said...

A 'dag' in Leicestershire means something totally different, poohy bits hanging from a sheeps rear end!
Dearest brother, there is only one thing to drink with a good ploughmans, and thats a good pint (or two)!

What sort of cheese did you have with it?

I thought the tulips looked rather like that plant out of 'Little Shop of Horrors', make sure you shut the bedroom door at nights!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Mag. Had the weather been warmer I'd have agreed with you regarding liquid accompaniment to a plowman's, especially as they serve Adnam's. Re cheese - a very mature, dry, cheddar, and some sort of pickled pork, plus vey good home made pickles, salads, etc. As I said, a very good lunch.
Love, Mike.