Friday 5 June 2009

Friday.

Roses, roses, all the way...... Ann snapped this white rambler taking over a wall of our bank car park.


Motored over to Stowmarket this morning for a haircut. My barber there is a friend. He collects early weaponry, which gives us a subject in common, and anyway, he's the best barber in this area. I wish I could find someone a bit nearer but Ann says he does a first rate job on me, so it's worth the petrol. Ann spent most of today working at the Ansell Club. I've mentioned it before. It provides a very good lunch for the elderly of our town at very reasonable rates. The daft thing is that most of the volunteer helpers/organisers are more elderly than most of the customers!! I've been busy this evening making a four poster bed (for a doll's house). If I'm not careful I'll find I've changed meself from an antiquarian horologist into a toy maker. Still, it keeps me off the streets, and I enjoy a challenge. Nearly bedtime. So : goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Nea said...

Papa Gipetto, that wood explain my looooooong nose.

Nea said...

Now I have to comment again because my wv is:

thewise

Unknown said...

But only if you are in the habit of telling porkies. And to whom do you think that wv could possibly be refering ?????
I don't believe it but my WV is nutzkin, and the same query presents itself, what?

Crowbard said...

A word to thewise... I suspect all our kin are nutz!

I don't suppose you'd care to make that four-poster into an automaton with occupants who throw back the blankets and sit up and yawn?
That might keep the streets safer for quite a while... and enhance the interest of the dolls-house somewhat.

Unknown said...

I had an automaton rather like that once. It was a bedroom scene where a whiskery, red eyed, male figure in a nightcap and nightshire sat in a chair near the fireplace trying to feed and calm a squalling baby. Every so often s female figure in the double bed in the corner would suddenly sit up, shake her head and wag an admonitory finger at the other two figures. It was rather a depressing scene. I think it probably started life as a penny in the slot fairground entertainment scene. It was worked by a crank handle at the front of the box. I took it in as part of a fairly complicated deal over a rather handsome long case clock. I 'did up' the automaton and sold it on, glad to see the back of it. Not at all my period or sort of thing. But I suppose it had a sort of late victorian black humour to it. Cheers, Mike.