Thursday 8 October 2009

Thursday 1.

 


The bank in our town. It was originally Gurney's Bank, and featured in the evidence given at our local famous murder case (Maria Martin - the Red Barn murder in 1827, I think) when the murderer changed a five pound note there before fleeing to London. It's a handsome late Georgian Building. Choir practice now, and I must go and collect our senior choir member. Ann normally does this, but she's taken a friend to the spitting and snitching exhibition in the Alexander Palace in London. Knitting and stitching I should say. More later perhaps, cheers, Mike.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Crowbard said...

For a moment there I thought Suffolk had created a new sport or academic discipline for putative politicians!

DILLIGAF said...

I was once dragged kicking and screaming to a choir recital from the wifeys (Carol) church. It was actually rather good.

A few months later 'guests' were invited to request songs for the next recital.

I asked for Blur 'Park Life' and I couldn't believe they did it!!!

They also did their version supurbly. I so wish I'd recorded it.

St Peter & Pauls Harlington is in the Domesday Book.

I'm rahter impressed that I introduced Blur to the place.

Got married there. Not a church goer I admit, but love the peace and tranquility there.

Special places are churches eh?

Not sure why....maybe one day eh?

Lori Skoog said...

I wondered what a spitting exhibition was! Great bank.

Crowbard said...

As a lad I recall sitting on a public garden bench with my Grandfather (Pop Trower)in Hunstanton eating from a bunch of grapes he had purchased. I don't recall how spitting entered the conversation but suddenly he swung his head right back and forward again ejecting a grape seed with the speed of a bullet to clear several of the box-hedges around us before I lost track of it. I tried it once or twice but I couldn't pick up the knack - nor match him to a quarter of his mighty expectoration. I had previously learned of his dexterity at one form of handkerchief-less 'snitching' so I was mightily impressed to find him expert in yet another undreamt of esoteric skill.
I still think a spitting and snitching competition would be a better way to elect our political representatives rather than voting for the deceitful and spiteful little monsters who seek power over their fellows - at least we would know they were good for something!