Wednesday 30 December 2009

Wednesday.

 


Above photo is of another pargetted shop front in our High Street, this time above our local wine shop, which I regret to say has just closed down.
This morning pottered in workshop, then we had an early lunch, spaghetti bolognaise by special request of Freja, then drove into Ipswich, where the girls wanted to go to 'Toys R Us' to spend some of their Christmas money. Also spent considerable time wandering up and down aisles full of (to me) rather puzzling artifacts. Other things rather delightful - an elephant that, when its back was stroked, waved its trunk and trumpeted. Not clock work, as you might think, but battery powered. Also found, at the back of a shelf full of zoo animals, a rather dusty woolly mammoth (obviously old stock). Also found, among some mounted knights in armour, some plastic trebuchets - working, but I reflected that I've made better and more lethal ones, of wood and twisted rope (and they're still in service), for my grandchildren. Fascinating place.
We then dropped Ruth and the girls off at the 'bus station in the middle of Ipswich, from whence they were going to catch a 'bus to Victoria, in London, to spend a couple of days in London, at their Aunt Lizzie's (the girls' Aunt, that is- Ruth's sister).
On the way home we stopped off at a farm shop, where our favourite tea shop is. To our surprise it was crowded with people enjoying a late Christmas lunch. We ordered tea, coffee, and scones. Because the place was so crowded it was a while coming, and the young waiter came and apologised for the slight delay. We assured him that we were not in any hurry. When it came, it was, as always excellent, with butter, cream, and strawberry jam with the scones (which were nice and fresh). When I went to pay the reckoning the same young waiter told me that he had not charged for the scones to recompense us for the delay. I thanked him for this, told him that it really didn't matter, and then tipped him the amount that the scones would have cost us. It really is refreshing to find that level of service these days. Ann's just gone up to bed, so I must join her. Good night all.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

I have just guided Caz through your blog.

She loves it.

I suspect she'll only return though if I sort of drag her here...Caz is not a blog sort of girl....

She did enjoy though.

A Happy and Peaceful New Year.

Nite nite

4D

Anonymous said...

Good service like that is hard to find - but usually results in repeat custom!

Unknown said...

Hello 4Ds and Caz. Yes, Ann is just the same. I've shown her odd bits of blog that I think might interest her, but she'd never bother of her own accord. I've just told her of your comment here, and she smiled tolerantly and said 'tell them I'm the same - not a blog person'. Oh well, there are worse reactions than tolerant smiles, I suppose. We wish you both a good and peaceful 2010.

Unknown said...

Hi, Miss D. You're so right. An old friend of mine used to say that first rate service in a restaurant, with second rate food, was better than the other way round. I'm not sure I completely agree with him, but I know what he meant.
Good to hear from you. We wish you both a very happy new year.
Warm regards, Mike and Ann.