Monday 15 February 2010

Monday.

 


Drove over to Wisbech today to visit Ann's mother. On a back road, about ten miles from home, came across a moated Suffolk Manor house I have always admired, and saw that repair work was being done on the roof. Parked in convenient gateway, and was fortunate enough to come across the lady of the manor, who stopped to chat. She told me that it was an awkward time of year to do repairs to a thatched roof, as this could not be done when raining, but it was necessary, so had to be done in dry spells. She also said that maintenance of medieval properties was never ending. I sympathised as we live in property of equal age, but much smaller (glad to say). Told her it was a painting the Severn Bridge job - complete the job then start again. When we parted I asked if I might photograph the house, and she gave me permission to snap away to my heart's content. Nice of her but not really necessary - generally speaking if anything is on public display, anyone may photograph it; but very civil of her, and I took her at her word. Not sure that I don't mean the Forth Bridge ???? Or the fifth (sorry, schoolboy jest, I know). On to Gran's. Ran out of the sunshine and into snow beyond Bury St. Edmund's. Stopped in Ely to look round antique centre, but found nothing for me, although proprietor kindly showed me superb pin fire sporting gun, which was not for sale, but he wanted information re date of piece, which I gladly gave (circa 1860). Had lunch with Gran (which we'd taken with us), and as snow getting worse, left at around 3.45 p.m.
Ran out of snow in about three miles, and then had good run home, via Mildenhall. Saw two heron and a barn owl on way, and arrived home just before 6 p.m. Been pottering in workshop since then. Done two jobs, both for completion (i.e. final cleaning) in morning.
Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Crowbard said...

I don't know how you can rest easy of a night knowing your work is nearly done but for the final cleaning! - I'd need to polish and wrap 'em ready for the off! -It's no fun, this compulsion to be neat and tidy when I'm an absolute scruff and muddle merchant at heart.

Crowbard said...

What's the river Mike... or is it a spring-fed moat?

Crowbard said...

Did pin-fire, follow rim-fire technology Mike, or was it t'other way about? I take it both were quickly superceded by centre-fire ammunition!

Unknown said...

Hi Crowbard. There's a good reason for sometimes leaving my work overnight for it's final cleaning in the morning. I don't necessarily want any parts I've had to restore or make to look bright and brandnew.

I don't think it can be a river. The only one anywhere near is the Brett, and as that's not very near, I think the moat must be spring fed.

The third one is arguable. But the pin fire system was certainly the first really successful self contained cartridge, and was used from its invention by a Frenchman Lefaucheux in 1835 (it was improved by Hoiller in 1846), until its demise about the time of the first world war. Its one drawback was that if a pinfire cartridge was dropped on its pin (which protruded from the back end of the cartridge at right angles) onto a hard surface, it usually went off pop, which could be distressing (in one way or another) for anyone in its immediate vicinity.

DILLIGAF said...

ok. Sadly I didn't win an inordinate amount of millions on the Euro Lottery.

If I had I would buy it tomorrow.

I'd also buy all the land around so I could to prevent any idiot building things on it.

Just so you know...;-)

Unknown said...

As I can't afford, and don't really want, a place that big, I do hope you win the lottery, 4Ds, so that you purchase it, move in, and I would scrounge regular invites to the place. I would also offer (free of charge) my professional advice on furnishing the place in correct and period, style.
P.s. When I say advice free of charge, I would expect regular liquid refreshment whilst doing so, of course.
Cheers, Mike.