Sunday 28 February 2010

Sunday.

 


The photo is of a meal taken a few days ago. On the plate is cold roast chicken, a jacket potato, and salad. The chutney on the chicken is (I think) green tomato chutney made by Ann late last autumn. I know the chutney doesn't look green. It isn't but it's made from green tomatoes, and is a good way of using up tomatoes that, at the end of the season, are unlikely to ripen.
Sung in St. Mary's choir this morning. Ann was serving. After lunch Ann drove across to Wisbech to see her mother, who has just had a bit of a fall. She had rather too many cushions on the seat of the windsor arm chair in which she sits to look out of her window, slid down the cushions, off the edge of the chair, and bumped onto the floor on her bottom; the account of the the whole performance reminding me irresistibly of the performance given some years ago in the winter olympics by the English entrant, 'Eddie The Eagle'. Gran said she wasn't really hurt, but couldn't get up again until a neighbour popped in to see her, found her sitting on the floor, called an ambulance (which Gran really didn't want) but they came and helped her up. I suppose any fall in your hundred and second year is potentially serious, although Gran doesn't seem to think so. Ann plans to sleep at her brother Tim's, spend tomorrow with Gran, then return late tomorrow afternoon. She's just 'phoned me and told me that she had to make two diversions between Bildeston and Bury St. Edmund's because of flash flooding in the lanes. Not surprised, had torrential rain most of last night. Strongly advised coming home via the main roads tomorrow. Must knock off now and make meself (or find meself) some supper. Goodnight all.
Just checked this blog, and reopened it on finding there is no chutney on chicken. Must have taken photo before applying chutney to chicken (which I distinctly remember doing). All clear now, I hope.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

It seems that you are getting back to normal, Mike. Good news!

DILLIGAF said...

I'm glad you explained that. My face was virtually on my pc screen looking for the chutney!..;-)

Ahhh! Eddie The Eagle. A true British hero!!!! Mad as a hatter of course...

I've fallen off chairs before but, I must admit, cushions have never been the cause..;-)

Crowbard said...

As I recall Great-uncle Bill (John William Trower) made phenomenal green-tomato chutney...
Served it up with cold pork for lunch when I went apple-picking for him...
That used to disappear pretty quickly too!

Unknown said...

Hi Lori. Getting there, yes. I aught to add (in all modesty) that I'm the only totally normal bloke I know.
Hello 4Ds. Yes, I think I agree with you, Eddie the Eagle was, perhaps, verging on the eccentric.
Hello Carl. Should perhaps explain that all year we give our senior choir member, Margaret, (now 94) a lift into choir practice most Thursdays. She is a lady who likes to pay her way, so every autumn Margaret gives Ann all her green tomatoes, Ann makes them into chutney, and gives Margaret back a pound jar of the chutney. Lot to be said for the good old barter system, what?

Unknown said...

Should perhaps add that during summer and autumn Margaret also gives us butter beans and chard from her garden. Chard being now my very favourite brassica, besides adding a bit of colour to the plate (dark green leaves with bright red stems).