Saturday 27 March 2010

Saturday.

 


The snapshot is of (I think) the silliest front door in East Anglia. It is of a magnificent silliness and apears to give onto the conservatory at the back of a Victorian town house in Hunstanton. I hope the owner of it never reads this blog.

This morning Ann was helping with the coffee and lunches at St. Mary's Spring Bazaar. I went down about ten a.m. and pottered round the stalls. I bought Ann a Minton tea cup of the 'Amhurst' pattern from the bric a brac stall. I gave them the fifty pence they asked for it, and when I gave it to Ann she loved it (we've been half collecting this pattern for years), but said that I hadn't given them enough for it, so I went back and gave the vendor (who we know) another couple of quid for it, which pleased (but rather surprised her). As a dealer I find it rather embarassing being honest about values. I spent a while looking at the book stall - Hilary in charge- and bought a couple of paper backs. Then Ann came along (still wearing her 'I'm going on a hot air baloon ride' baseball cap which she's had on since she got it with the baloon ride voucher yesterday morning), and we went off and had a coffee. After that Ann resumed her duties, and I walked home.

This afternoon I went to scrabble club as usual. There were nine of us, so three table of three players each. I won the first two games at my table, then at the third game Rhona, who normally plays a good, but quiet, game, struck a vein of absolute brilliance, coupled with very good tiles, and proceeded to wipe the floor with Barbara and I. Altogether a very good afternoon's play.
Roast chicken for supper, followed by fruit crumble and custard.
Since then I've been in the workshop repairing a treen, sailor-made, table snuff box, in the shape of the hull of a sailing ship. To open it the turned bone bowsprit is pulled out (it can then be used as a snuff spoon) and the upper decks swivel to one side revealing the snuff compartment in the hold. It's a charming, if rather naive (that word never looks as if it's spelled correctly) table snuff. Got to wait for some button polish to dry overnight before I can complete the job. I'll perhaps put up a photo of it, if I'm satisfied with the repair (P.s. see next monday's blog). Got one or two other jobs to get on with before bed. So - Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

What a nice day!

Crowbard said...

Interesting, Mike that a portico of such unfitting proportion and inappropriate garniture, bedecking a plastic door bearing an unneccesarily large No.1 should flaunt itself upon a house modestly named "The Retreat".

I deduce the owners are a retiring elderly lady of little architectural perception and her single, desperately middle-aged, megalomanic only son.

It's just a guess, and right or wrong, I apologise to the owners for my un-called for outspoken opinion....
but I still wouldn't buy the house next-door!

Unknown said...

Hi Lori. Yes, it was, very.

Hi Crowbard. Makes me wonder however the guilty party got planning permission. Perhaps you are right AND he was on the town council. On the other hand it is rather an eye catching horror/folly.