Friday 16 April 2010

Friday 3.

 


Lavenham.
Been an unusual Friday. Went to Cafe Church this morning much as usual. Our Dean's wife, Pauline came along and asked if anyone could help at the Porch Project this evening, as only one lady helper was available. Should explain that this project was started in the winter to help the youngsters who hung out in the church porch of an evening, usually because they had nowhere else to go. the idea being that we opened the church for them and served coffee, cakes etc.
As no one else was available, I said I would go in and help (8p.m to 10 p.m.). Ann later decided that she would go with me, and I eventually agreed to this (reluctantly, because I know that some of the youngsters are a bit rough- not to say thoroughly near the knuckle). In the event half a dozen senior helpers turned up. I found the youngsters better company than I expected, and, looking back thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Two of the boys were in work (both had apprenticeships- and were finding them very satisfying). One of the girls at my table was trying very hard, and obviously, to shock the grown-ups (in this case your blogger) but in the end the silly baggage got bored with the effort and wandered off. Generally speaking they were nice youngsters and I talked and listened to them as if they were my grandchildren. Afterwards Jimmy (another of the helpers, and much my vintage) said to me "It was really funny, Mike. I was looking at your table, and everytime you joined in the conversation they all shut up and listened to you. What were you saying to them?" And I couldn't remember saying anything in particular. It was just interesting hearing their views ( some of which were refreshingly different). A much more enjoyable (and interesting) evening than I had expected. Might do it again sometime. We'll see.
It's late now, so Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

Will you please stop showing pics that make me drool! My keyboard is all wet now!

I wonder how many potential learner drivers there are in that beatiful place?

Lori Skoog said...

Another good deed...

Unknown said...

Hello 4Ds. Probably not too many. Mostly they are faily well smitten in years to be able to afford Lavenham House prices.
Cheers, Mike.
Thank you Lori.

Unknown said...

P.s. Thinking about it 4Ds. House prices in Lavenham are probably a good deal less than where you live. I still don't think there'd be sufficient potential learner drivers to keep you in the style to which..........etc. Mike.