Saturday 29 May 2010

Saturday.

 


snapshot of Ann ready to go out, which she did just after I'd taken the photo. She was going to Cambridge with about twenty other church members. St. Mary's Church has a connexion with St. John's College in Cambridge, and an invitation was received to go to tea at St. John's, to look round the college buildings, and attend evensong. As rather more Church members wanted to go than had been originally anticipated it was decided to hire a coach and spend a day in Cambridge. I decided not to go as it would have meant missing a morning in the workshop and Scrabble Club in the afternoon (both of which I attended). Spent this morning repairing the lock on a flintlock holster pistol, and turning a new head for the ramrod in brass to match the rest of the mounts, so it's now in decent working order. Knocked off at noon, cleaned meself up, changed into decent clothing, then made and ate a sandwich lunch, and walked into town for three games of scrabble. The last time I went, about three weeks ago, one of our members, Doris, announced at tea break:- "I've been playing at being sixtyish for thirty years, and this week I had a birthday. I'm ninety now. Have some birthday cake." Part of Doris's game strategy is to bemoan the poor tiles she is holding, then to make devastatingly good scores with her 'poor' tiles. She employed this strategy today and won the first game by one point, your blogger being the runner up. The second game she did marginally better and beat the same runner up by seven points. I then realised afresh that it never does to make any allowances for Doris's age or sex, so I ungallantly pulled out all the stops for the third game, and managed to beat her by five points. There were four of us at our table, all hardened, thorough going (though I hope civilised) scrabble players, and all have the attitude that 'no quarter should be asked or given', and, as we all enjoy well faught, closely scored, games, it was a very good afternoon's play.
Ann's just got home, bit later than we expected, so I'd better knock off, go upstairs, and make her a cuppa.
I bid all my readers a very goodnight.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Crowbard said...

My word Ann - You do wholly scrub-up beautifully - Goodness me - you must have distracted a few lads on your peregrinations around the counties.

That indigo-grey scarf is the perfect foil for your lovely coral jacket! - How elegantly those colours do so become you!

PS - Well-done Mike, last game pays for all! We must keep these over-youthful nonogenarians in their proper places.

Anonymous said...

I like Doris's sass - I do hope I have her game skills and cheek one day. Wonder if I can play at being 25 for 30 years?

Unknown said...

Thank you Crowbard.
And thank you , Miss D. You do cheer me up.
Warm regards, Mike.