Sunday 1 August 2010

Sunday 6.



We came home via Woolpit, partly because I wanted to show Matthew the Church. It is a lovely 14th century church with a spire and flying buttresses, which are Victorian additions. It is the only example I know of, certainly in East Anglia, where a large Victorian addition to a church actually improves the appearance of the church (in my opinion- please feel free to differ). It's a pretty village. The name of the village is said to have nothing to do with wool, and was originally Wolf Pit, because there were large pits here to trap wolves. The only thing for which Woolpit is well known is, of course, the story of the green children of Woolpit, which is too well known for me to bore you with. Goodnight All.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Crowbard said...

You could of course have mentioned that while it occured centuries ago, the only credible explanation is the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima or Nagasaki throwing victims back through time and space.

I'm sure you won't agree but your readers will now feel fully informed...

Lori Skoog said...

I don't know that story....

Unknown said...

See next blog (Monday 1) for story and rational explanation.