Wednesday 29 September 2010

Wednesday.


Photo of a lane in our town, which has nothing to do with this blog.

Must tell you of an incident that occurred yesterday. On Monday we drove from Sarah's to Wisbech, where Ann and her three brothers were going to try and clear Gran's flat. Left Ann in Wisbech; she was going to spend the night at Tim and Sue's house and return home on Tuesday. I eventually drove home, and later in the evening locked up very carefully and retired for the night. Overslept on Tuesday, eventually waking at 8.30 a.m. Inserted hearing aid in 'good' ear and turned wireless on to keep me awake. Half dressed, I thought I heard a tapping on the bedroom door. Knew this couldn't be so, as I distinctly remember locking up the previous evening. Continuing to dress when there came a rather more determined tapping on bedroom door. Pausing only to put on a dressing gown, grab a big stick and (reflecting on how good -mannered burglars seemed to be these days - I mean knocking on bedroom doors!!) I flung wide the door, and there stood............ (to be continued in our next thrrrilling episode).


Oh well, alright then, if you insist :- There, on the landing, stood our friend and keyholder John. Apparently there'd been a fault on the telephone, Ann had not been able to get through to me, and eventually 'phoned John (knowing he had a key) and asked him to check that all was well, and, if I'd been spared the 'perils and dangers of the night', to tell me to 'phone Ann instanter and reassure her that all was well. Of course (being deaf, and as I'd got the wireless on) I'd not been able to hear him knocking at the back door, so he'd had to let himself in.

Whilst I 'phoned Ann, John checked our 'phone and found the fault; which was that the answerphone was chock full of messages ( some in sympathy for Gran's death, and the rest to wish me a happy birthday), which had caused the 'phone to go on strike. I really don't trust these modern communication contraptions. But we do feel heavily in John's debt again. Whilst we were in Sweden earlier in the year, he'd done necessary running repairs on the property, and now this. As the youngsters say - we owe him bigtime.
Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: