Monday 4 October 2010

Monday 1.


Been over to Welney, in the Norfolk fens today. Great Gran's funeral. Above is a snapshot of nine of our grandchildren. Ten actually attended, but Kerry and Laura had to get back to meet Tom home from school, before I took this picture. There was an almost complete family turn out. Distant cousins and cousins we only ever see at funerals turned out (partly, I think because Gran was the very last of her generation, but mainly because we all loved her).We had lunch at the Lamb and Flag (in the background), the service was at 2 p.m., during which I gave the eulogy. The church was completely full. Interment followed in the churchyard, then to the village hall for tea, etc. Then before we came away I broke with tradition and took a few photoes of the grandchildren. It was a good day, although most of the great grandchilren, almost all of the grandchildren, and indeed, a good many mature adults, shed tears during the service (for Great Gran was universally popular). Afterwards we all had the consolation of discussing a very long life very well spent. Ann's just gone up to bed. Been an emotionally tiring day for her. I think I must go up now, too. Good night all.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

You have a large family...how nice that you could all be together to honor Gran.

Crowbard said...

I can just about forgive myself for my dereliction of duty(although I really was not safe to drive yesterday) but I'm hopping mad about missing the delight of just being together with the family...
What a super bunch they are...
although when I embiggened the photo I was a bit concerned about the lable you had stuck in Matt's ear! I'm sure he has all the skills and know-how to become one, but I expect he knows well enough that you would go out of business if he were not free to assist you regularly!
Sorry, forget all that, I see now it is only part of the Inn-sign.

Unknown said...

Thank you Lori. Yes, it was. We shall all miss her, but it was a good get-together yesterday.

Hi Carl. You'd have enjoyed lunch at the Lamb, and the Village Hall tea after the service. Russell and Eileen Biggs, and Margaret Venni ask to be remembered to you. Ref Matt, he is no longer free to assist......, as he now has a part time job (a few days a week) in a Wicks's building supply shop. He assures me that he will continue to view on a Sunday, and help as he is able, though.
Sorry you were unable to attend, but we do understand,
Much love, Mike and Ann.