Wednesday 27 October 2010

Wednesday 4.

About a fortnight ago I had a 'phone call from someone we'd never met, but I'd been recommended to her (as an horologist) by a mutual friend. Her long case clock had been misbehaving -losing time but not even at a regular rate. She described the clock and I asked her if there was a maker's name on the dial. She believed there was, but didn't remember what it was. The clock had been in her family for a century or so, and had been (until recently) a very good timekeeper. We went (as per our appointment) and looked at the clock this morning. It was a very handsome, London made, clock of circa 1720, in its original beautifully figured walnut case, and by a good London maker. Asked for my usual requirements (newspaper to work on- and a cereal bowl or a soup dish to put the bits in as I dismember it) and took the clock apart on the kitchen table. The problem (as I'd half expected) was in the brass clutch spring under the dial behind the hands - the spring had weakened with age. The problem with this is that the hands have to come off, the dial has to be removed, as does most of the under dial work, before the clutch spring can be got at. Then the spring has to be reshaped (by hand) and retempered (by hammer) before the movement can be reassembled and put back into the case. During this time (about two hours) our hostess kept us supplied with excellent and copious coffee; and whilst I worked on the clock she and Ann discussed offspring and travel (in order to visit offspring). Passed a very pleasant morning before clock was up, going, and (I hope) now behaving itself, by keeping good time again - time will tell (please excuse poor pun).
Then drove on to Sudbury, where we lunched, Ann bought groceries, and I bought printing ink for computer, wine, and gin to make sloe gin. Got home about 4p.m.
Been a long day as we got up in time to go to early service. Plan to go upstairs, grab a drink, and what's left of an early night.
Goodnight all.
P.s. Took above photo this morning of autumnal Suffolk scenery.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

I have a pocket watch that didn't work at all. I tapped it quite gently on the table top and it's worked ever since. I'm a natural I am...;-)

Unknown said...

Yes, that's alright for a pocket watch, 4Ds, but can you imagine tapping a grandfather clock on the table? Still, on second thoughts I really think you should try it some time. Thinks :- "That'll probably bring me in a bit more work eventually."