Wednesday 9 February 2011

Wednesday.

Up at six this morning for early service at 7.30. Ann read both lessons and I 'deaconed'. Went fairly well, I think. Stayed on for a bite of breakfast in church, then home to prepare for our lunch party. Above picture shows our table set ready. We gave them a choice of carrot and ginger soup or mushroom soup, both of which Ann made yesterday. The main course was a choice of chicken breasts in a pesto, pine kernel and basil dressing, or a pheasant casserole. Rather to our surprise (because, as Ann said, not everyone likes pheasant) only one of our guests chose chicken. The vegetables were red cabbage, sweet potato with nutmeg, roast potatoes and mashed potatoes. The pudding was raspberries and blueberries with a meringue and cream. We followed this with a cheeseboard and coffee, and lingered over the meal, which I do enjoy as it's so much easier to hear what people are saying when sitting round a table. We sat down at one p.m. and eventually rose from table at around four thirty.

The below photo shows our guests, who live fairly near us (well, within a mile of us). The couple on the left and right of the picture are John and Maude, and the couple in the centre of the picture are Gloria and John. When Maude and John first moved into our town four or five years ago and we were introduced I remarked to Maude on what a nice unusual name Maude is these days, Maude replied -"Well, it's easy to remember because everyone used to have an Aunt Maude, and I'm everyone's Aunt Maude". I'm not always good at remembering names but after that I've always remembered hers. She's a quiet lady with a lovely, dry, sense of humour. Gloria and John have a daughter and grandchildren in Norway, and as we have a daughter and grandchildren in Sweden, it gives us a common interest. Both Johns are very widely travelled in Europe, so had plenty to talk about, and I think I can safely say that a very good time was had by all.





Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

There you go again. Can any of your friends keep up with you?

Z said...

That all sounds delicious, and I'm suitably abashed at the thought of providing a choice of first and main courses at a meal for six! Still, at least Ann won't have to cook next day, maybe for longer!

stigofthedump said...

Gordon Ramsey AND Delia Smith - Eat your hearts out !!!
Mrs Beeton has nothing on you does she !
I think it's in the genes - Lulu made a ragu in her cookery lesson today ( it smells fantastic ) and we are planning to have it for our supper with pasta, bacon and chicken - I am going to lay my table now - with serviettes and silver looking cutlery.
Will let you know how it tasted tomorrow.
Still no further with the xword - will have another shot later
Much love
Stig of the dump
x
word verification tonight is nobing - VERY RUDE !!

Unknown said...

Hi LOri. If you were this side of the water I think you could easily.

Hello Z.To add to the difficulty one of our guests is on a lactose free diet!!! But you're right. I don't think we'll need to cook before the weekend. And yes, it was an absolutely delicious meal.

Hi Sal. I thought Gordon Ramsey was a football club manager ? So what has he to do with cooking? Or perhaps he has a second career in catering? I haven't had time to look at the crossword today, so it's still two to go.
Much love, Pa.

Crowbard said...

Give us the clues Mike and I'll make a few (improper) suggestions if any come to mind.

Pat said...

Giving them a choice? You're spoiling them:)