Wednesday 27 July 2011

Wednesday 2.


Yesterday drove over to the Essex coast and had lunch with our friend Bea, who is the daughter of our old friends John and Ann. After lunch went and had coffee with Ann, who now lives in the old coach house, which is attached (quite literally) to Bea's home, having been turned into a very pleasant 'granny-flat'. Stayed with Ann for half an hour  or so (she is not well and tires very easily these days). Bea told me that John's headstone has just been erected, so after we'd left them nipped round to the churchyard and took the above photo of it. As a thumbnail sketch of John I couldn't better  the very restrained inscription, although it gives no idea of his glorious sence of humour.

To more cheerful things - I think Ruth's girls are asleep- they've been up and travelling since 4.30 this morning. Ruth's just gone up, Ann's about to, and I must join her. So - Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Four Dinners said...

Such a gentle post old bean...thank you.

There seems to be so little 'gentle' left lately - and I certainly include myself!!!

We need so much more gentle.

My tombstone?

"I told you I was sick!'

"You cremated me after all that vodka?"

"If the after life has no bar I'm very pissed off"

"I'm really dead?...oh dear"

Cheers old bean

4D

Crowbard said...

'Who was that peciliar person?...'
will do just fine as my epitaph.

Lovely to see the Scaninavian contingent looking so well. Give them my Love
GUC