Friday 26 August 2011

Friday.

Been a good, busy, day. Drove up to Southwold and went to Antique fair at St. Felix School (we'd been sent a freebie ticket in the post). Met up with friends Jonathan and Jo. Pottered round the fair for an hour or so, meeting a good many friends and aquaintances. Only bought one item, a very nice quality smallsword, of about 1740. A deadly little weapon, and made for a boy of about eight. You see them in those eighteenth century family portraits, showing the family in front of the family seat, with the children dressed as miniature adults, and the small boys carrying proportionately miniature smallswords as everyday items of dress. Haven't had one for some years, so pleased to find it. Then went to Jonathan and Jo's (they live in Southwold) and had lunch with them. Tenderloin of pork with vegetables, followed by fresh fruit (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries- with cream). After lunch cleared dining table, put a towel on top of it, and on top of that took apart a clock that has been playing up. It is a small, mid eighteenth century timepiece alarm, which needed cleaning, a little poking about, and cajoling into better behaviour. Did the job with the able assistance of Jonathan, who, although he is an academic (a professor), is  a rather good  assistant for a  workman to have (hands me the screws and pins when needed, and points out the fact when I've forgotten to put a part back in - usually).





Above is the clock when reassembled (rather to Jonathan's surprise) and going well (to Jonathan's delight). Had a cuppa to celebrate our success, then left and drove up to the seaside. Ann always loves a look at the sea.

Called in on our old friends, Pat and Doc, on the way home. Arrived home about seven p.m. after (as I think I said at the start of this blogentry - that's rather a good word- should have been two words though) a full and rewarding day.

Goodnight All.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Nea said...

Who's the star taking the shot in the mirror?

Love the seascape, you can't go to the seaside and not look at the sea!

Unknown said...

Hello Nea.

(1) Your Mama.

(2) No, I suppose not, really.

Pat said...

Beautiful clock.
Had two lovely holidays in Southwold when the boys were boys.

Crowbard said...

Well done Mike, I can confirm your first answer to Nea is correct.
Upon the second point there is room for philosophical debate although I accept the premise is reasonable. However, if I bet you a shilling you could not go to the seaside and not look at the sea, I'm quite sure you would prove Nea to be in error (despite the complications of risky double negatives)!

Oh dear! Pootatu is growing up. With her latest v-word she has just asked for a 'bustrig'. (I don't think Rigby & Pellar do a bra for compooters.)

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. Yes, so did I. When I waas a boy, I mean. Stayed there during and again just after the war with my mother (my father was away fighting a war at the time).

Unknown said...

Hello Carl. If you really want to put a shilling on it I will take you; but in fairness (and here I will -very sportingly- explain my cunning plan. We will meet up at Blythburgh. Ann will carefully blindfold me. We will then go in the car to the Southwold seafront, drive along it, then return to Blythburgh, where I will have won the bet. I suggest Blythburgh as it is just far enough inland to avoid me getting an inadvertent glimpse of the sea. As the bet is for a shilling, which will not cover the petrol even from Blythburgh to Southwold, I'm afraid I shall have to specify that full travelling expenses must be included in the stakes. Are we on?

Unknown said...

P.s. I've just reread your comment, you are right about double negatives being misleading. I take now it that meant I am pigheaded enough to win such a bet? And, of course, once again, you are right.