Saturday 15 October 2011

Saturday 1.

I illustrated a child's small sword late in August. Above is a photo of the sword being held as it should be (fingers through the pas dane rings) by grandson Guy who is nearly twelve. As you can see his hands are already too large to hold the sword properly and comfortably.




This morning we went for a walk down Tinker's Lane and along the river walk. In a cottage on the corner of Tinker's Lane lives the terrier photographed above. He spends his time keeping watch from one of two windows. He always seems pleased when we stop to greet him.



Family and dogs on the River Walk.



Swans and three nearly grown up cygnets. I think I published a photo of the same family in their nest earlier in the year.



This afternoon just before five we had a power cut. So Ann gave Lucy and Guy an orange each , some ribbon, a jar of cloves, and a quick lesson in making pomanders. I was left in charge (a heavy responsibility) whilst the three adults (I know my place) went shopping. The above is a snapshot of Lucy's pomade when nearly finished. Soon after this we had to light candles and finish the work by their light.




I took this photo of Guy and his pomander by candle light only. Not a very clear photo but it gives a good idea of our working conditions. Soon after this (at about seven p.m.) the power was restored.

I should add that we woke up this morning to the first frost of the winter. The house opposite to us has a slate roof, which was white this morning. Since then it's been a lovely day weatherwise and every otherwise.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Crowbard said...

The medicinal herb coltsfoot which is particularly good for a cough is also known as 'pas-d'âne' because of the double ring-like pattern on its paired leaves. Some of the old horse-men used to smoke it in their pipes instead of baccy.

As well as the finger-stalls on a short-sword the term 'pas-d'âne' also refers to a veterinary instrument for holding open a horses mouth whilst mucking about with its teeth or a particularly nasty bit for a hard-mouthed hoss.

Unknown said...

I think that's the instrument that we used to call a 'gag'. I think maybe it's called a pas d'ane because you can wedge the horse's mouth open then put your hand through it into the mouth and administer any necessary medication. Pas d'ane = through hand, I suppose. Although I don't know why any English horseman would use Norman French, I don't know.