Tuesday 11 October 2011

Tuesday 1.








When we looking at a round towered church a couple of days ago I noticed various 'insertions' in the wall at fairly regular intervals. The first three photoes show these insertions in the lower area of the tower, one or two of them at eye level and made of stone. The lowest picure shows an area near the top of the tower where the insertions are each made of early brick. They've all been filled, I think at a later date than the building of the tower. I've an idea of what they may have been for- it's not in any of the books on round towered churches (as far as I'm aware) and it may be a soppy idea. Can anyone give me the answer as to their purpose? guesses allowed (indeed welcomed). Thanks for any help that is forthcoming. They puzzle me.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Rog said...

Are they filled in windows?

Crowbard said...

Are they holes to take floor joists which would have been in-filled as soon as the internal joinery had been completed; or to take the internal placement of a carillon perhaps? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K_f9nAJcHo
or even for external platforms around the tower, from which to drop hymn-books, pews and fonts etc. upon a beseiging foe?
Surely they're not little doorways for doves or angels? - that would make it a record-breaking dove-cote!

Unknown said...

Hello Rog. I don't think so. The round towers are always said to have been built basically as defensive structures, so that any windows would have been very High up the tower; and of course arrow slits are vertical.

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard. That was my daft idea:- that perhaps the tower has been used as a dove cote at some time. I'm not at all sure about that one, so if anyone has a better idea, please share it.

Pat said...

Draught excluders?

Crowbard said...

I notice they are all pi-shaped intrusions into the existing masonry, a lintel supported on two stubby side blocks, suggesting they were not in the original construction but would have been expected to be permanent openings supporting the mass of the stonework above. Renaissance air-conditioning perhaps? - but I prefer the dove-cote idea, Mike.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. Draught excluders. I rather like it. Open all the holes in summer then brick them up again in winter? Mmmmm? No, don't think so.
Next please.