Monday 26 December 2011

Boxing Day.

This morning we all walked down to a field just across our  the river where our local foxhounds were meeting and took the pictures below. 
 Hairy hocked beggar (the nearest horse that is) but good enough for a child to hunt on. And appeared to be reliable, too. A good, steady 'oss.
The only member of the hunt riding side saddle, and very steady and secure she looked, too.
M.F.H. (Master of Foxhounds, Lori). He told us that the hunt takes an eagle owl with them these days. Since hunting with hounds has been banned, and  various silly rules imposed, the hounds are allowed to chase a fox, but not allowed to kill it; but it is perfectly legal for the fox to be despatched by a bird of prey after it's been located by hounds - hence the Eagle Owl.  Hard to believe, I know, but as M.F.H. assured us , it is true. As he said - he couldn't have made that one up. Not sure I'd back an eagle owl against a good big dog fox, but he seemed to think the owl would come off best.
The hounds moving off. I don't know if they found, but I think it probable, as there's been a vast increase in foxes since hunting them with hounds was banned!!!!!!!

As you'll have worked out Ruth has been trying to make both the machine and me behave better, and I'm doing these long blog entries for practice.  Just hope I can remember it all.

7 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Beautiful shots Mike! Some mighty fine horses over there.

We just got home from a Boxing Day party here in Brockport.

Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas.

Crowbard said...

Am I right in thinking there's a touch of the Clydesdale blood in that hairy hocked horse?

Crowbard said...

The 'oss ridden side-saddle would make a fabulous equestrian statue. And the lass on the 'oss shows equal breedin' and quality. It's good to see the old ways preserved and executed so decorously and well.

Crowbard said...

And while I'm speakin' o' breedin', there's a touch of the Spencers and Churchills about the Master

Crowbard said...

Fine winter sport and Pageantry, a handsome pack.

Unknown said...

Thank you Lori. We are doing so.
Crowbard -
Ref the 'hairy hocked horse', I think it looks like a cross between Clydesdale and a Shetland. But I can see that this is unlikely when you consider the difficulties that must have faced the parents.
Re side saddler -Yes, I too admired both horse and rider.

Ref M.F.H. yes, I can see what you mean, but I think it unlikely given his name, and the ones you put forward.
Ref pageantry, Yes, aren't they?

Unknown said...

Thank you Lori. We are doing so.
Crowbard -
Ref the 'hairy hocked horse', I think it looks like a cross between Clydesdale and a Shetland. But I can see that this is unlikely when you consider the difficulties that must have faced the parents.
Re side saddler -Yes, I too admired both horse and rider.

Ref M.F.H. yes, I can see what you mean, but I think it unlikely given his name, and the ones you put forward.
Ref pageantry, Yes, aren't they?