Friday 13 January 2012

Friday.


Above photo is of last night's supper- and goes directly against the advice a blogging friend gave me this morning. It went - roughly- 'Only blog when you've got something to say'. Then I find meself thinking of Parson Woodford's Diary - he always made a note of what he'd had for supper, so - the above supper consists of two Cumberland sausages in onion gravy, boiled carrots, celery, roast red peppers, and creamed potatoes. Followed by a pudding of apple and raspberry crumble with custard and cream. And if any of my revered readers can think of a better winter supper I don't think I want to know of it.

Been a fairly busy day. Went to cafe Church this morning and had coffee and a croissant (with butter and jam), and seemed to meet everybody including blogger friend as mentioned above. On the way in to Church stopped in the market place and purchased a pork pie from the pie maker from whom I bought our Christmas pork pie. This morning's pie was a small one, made, he told me, from Gloucester Old Spot pork. He then gave me a sliver of Cheddar cheese to try, and it was very good, so bought a few ounces. After coffee, walked home and called in at our local book shop/art supplies shop- Idlers. Needed some black Indian ink to touch in the well worn numbers on a clock I'm doing up, but Brian was out of the ink (Windsor and Newton's), so told him there was no hurry for it, and I'd call in again soon. This suited him well, as he'd just bought a box of books (not yet unpacked) with a copy of The Ingoldsby Legends in it (which I'd asked him to look out for). He's a good book dealer, and never forgets anything he's been asked to  look for.
Sandwich lunch (which featured Old Spot pork pie and cheddar cheese), then a quick zizz.  When I got up, came down to workshop and completed restoration to the oak case of the clock I'm working on at the moment. I've just said that the case is of oak, and oak is the major wood used,  but in fact it's of mixed wood. The oak parts were alright, but some of the other parts were elm, pine, etc., and these were pretty wormy and have had to be replaced.  Most of the time I work in metal, but I must say I 've found it therapeutic (if that's the right word, and it's a word that seems to keep coming up today) to be working in wood for a change.
As we're going out to the film club later, I must knock off now and go and get cleaned up and changed to go out. More later perhaps.  

4 comments:

stigofthedump said...

Good to hear from you again, thought there was a problem with my device as I was not able to load your blog but it was, in fact, a lack of blogging activity !!!! Cross word (last week) was almost finished, but now have a new one to work on so will discuss both with you in the next day or so!
Have had a very sociable day with friends who were due to watch the football match this afternoon following a rather splendid lunch, however match postponed due to frozen pitch, winter may have finally arrived !!
Much love Stig x

Lori Skoog said...

You eat like a king!

Unknown said...

Hi Stig. Lori Scoog has told me that my blog has disappeared from her list of links, so there are still problems. I finished the last two crosswords yesterday, with the assistance of Sheila over the last one or two. Give me a ring when you can and I'll give you answers. One of yesterday's I'm not deliriously happy about.
Much love, Father.

Unknown said...

Hello Lori. Yes, we do rather. Whenever you're this side of the pond you must pop in and sample the provender. You'd both be very welcome.
Regards, Mike and Ann.