Tuesday 3 April 2012

Tuesday.


Yesterday (I must interrupt meself here to say that I started out - nearly five years ago now- to keep this blog as a sort of journal, and now I seem to be permanently a day or so in arrear).
As I was saying, yesterday I was about to walk into town to do various odd jobs, and as I was leaving I called out to Ann "Is there anything I can get you from town?"  "Yes" she said "bring me four sausages please."     Well, that sounds a fairly easy commission, you'd think; well within your blogger's capability. Well it was, in a sense. But when I'd completed the odd jobs, and finally stepped into the butcher's shop and ordered four sausages as requested, I found it wasn't at all simple because there were choices to be made. Did I want Lincolnshire sausages, Cumberland sausages, spicy sausages - or - something called (honestly) free range sausages. I had to visualise these latter, and I came up with an internal picture of a flower- sprinkled spring- time meadow, with pink, chubby, youthful sausages gambolling freely in it. I mean how else could you visualise a 'free range sausage'. I think the butcher had to speak to me twice before I shook meself awake and decided that the safest choice of sausage, because I know  we both like them, were the Cumberland sausages.  Sorry, I'm waffling on here. The point of this reminiscence is- that the above photographed sausages are half the Cumberland sausages I'd purchased earlier. They were, as always, delicious. But I think we really will, next week possibly, have to sample the free range ones and see if we can taste the difference.

Good night all.

5 comments:

Crowbard said...

I recommend the free range sausages Mike, they probably taste awful but I'm astounded that butchers have the charity of heart to offer a range of free sausages - encourage them!
Let's face it, the best and most natural source of sausage meat is the wild boar (you catch it, I'll cook it!) - terms like 'natural' 'organic' and 'free-range' can have very little meaning in our polluted and automated production systems.

Pat said...

You are funny!

Nea said...

What's wrong with the local sausages?

Unknown said...

The only local ones I know of are made by Simon and Bobby Watchorn, pig farmers up near Bungay, BUT they live just over the border in Norfolk, so are not really local. Their sausages are glorious though, and we usually buy some when we're up that way. I've got a feeling you've sampled them Nea,when staying with us ??

Much love, the parents.

Nea said...

That's what I thought, very good Norfolk pork sausages, so why doesn't your butcher sell them?