Sunday 27 May 2012

Sunday.


Just had a very full weekend. On Saturday morning drove up to Zoe's home village (blogs as 'Z'), where a blogmeet was going to be held. As we arrived early and I wanted to take a photo or so of the church we went there first. At the church gate we met the Sage (Z's helpmeet) who told us that a steam wagon was about to arrive. Hung around and were rewarded when the above beauty turned up on its way to a local 'Aquatic Centre'.  In the picture it  was reversing along a narrow lane as the driver said this was the easy way.

Photoed above stained glass window in the church. The prayer obviously met with Divine Approval, and was granted (hence our Diamond Jubilee this year).



Then on to Zoe and Russell's lovely home, and a quite superb lunch. Above snapshot shows (left to right) Zoe, Catherine (Rog's wife) and Ann (my wife); and it also gives a pretty good idea of Z's home. At last year's similar do it struck me that meeting people who you know only from their blogs was very much like meeting characters from books you know well and like. I said something like that to Z's friend Roses and she said that yes, on the whole, most bloggers give a pretty honest impression of themselves. We were shown round the house and introduced to Bobby, a leopard, who met his end in unarmed hand to hand combat with an ancestor of  Z (N.B. obviously not a family with whom a fight might safely be picked). Got to know Rog and his  wife Catherine a good deal better this year, and also was introduced to Z's charming sister Wink. In the midst of the festivities Christopher telephoned from the South of France (the hedonist!) to wish all at the party well. It was nice to be able to renew our acquaintance with Steve and Liz (a pair of very civilised 'bykies')  and to be introduced to Z's grandson, a charming young gentleman of some nine months (a little past his best of course - I always claim that the first six months is easily the best - but he made up for that by spending some ten minutes or so with me without showing any signs of fear or dismay - in fact we got on together like two matlows on shore leave, as Wodehouse so poetically puts it). I know I'm waffling on, and shall have to stop shortly as I've been summoned upstairs to a spot of supper; but what I'm really trying to do is to thank both Z and the Sage for their very generous hospitality - A day to be remembered - 'photographically lined on the tablets of the mind when a yesterday has faded from its page'. You will probably have worked out that wine was flowing freely and that I have not, as yet, completely recovered from its effect.


Good night all.

15 comments:

Paff Rine said...

Yes, it was a good party!
Wonderful to chat to both of you properly this year. If you are ever in our section of Norfolk, do let us know, we would love to see you both.
Catherine

Paff Rine said...

Sorry Mike, I think you may have had my message far too many times. I have fallen foul of the word verification software. Please ignore my "shouting"!

Rog said...

I looked up the WS Gilbert quotation and was amused to find a reference to a "Zoetrope" and also somebody playing the theodolite. Sounds like a tri-angle I suppose...

Unknown said...

Hello Paff. Yes, there was a sudden shower of comments. I've deleted the duplicates. I must be improving at this. Thank you, we would love to see you again, and when we next plan to travel North, will let you know,
Warm regards to you both, Mike and Ann.
P.s. It was a good party, wasn't it?

Unknown said...

P.s. Should have said - we also met Pixie Mum, her husband Ian, and their grandfather.

Unknown said...

P.s. Should have said - we also met Pixie Mum, her husband Ian, and their grandfather.

Liz said...

Nice to see everyone yesterday.

I saw you making friends with Zoe's youngest grandson; what a sweet little chap. His big sister was very sociable and good natured too.

I am sorry we missed the steam lorry though. And that I left my camera at home!

Z said...

It was lovely to see you, and please thank Ann very much for her delicious pudding. I made quite sure of snaffling a slice as I knew there would be nothing left for later.

mig bardsley said...

Oh I'm so glad you took a photo of the steam van. I didn't feel up to walking to the church to see it.
It was so nice to meet you and Ann.

Rog said...

I looked up your WS Gilbert quotation and was surprised to find a Zoetrope (!) and somebody playing a theodolite.

Unknown said...

Rog. Isn't a Zoetrope one of those victorian moving picture toys. If it is, I would't be at all surprised to find there's one lurking on a back landing somewhere in Zoe and Russell's house.

Pat said...

Wish Id been there - not just for the puds:)

Unknown said...

So do we Pat. You'd have loved it.

Unknown said...

P.s. You'd have loved the puds, too.

Crowbard said...

I've only just discovered this blog-post Mike, dunno why it didn't show up before?
Just found a nice definition of matelots...
1949, Francis van Wyck Mason, Cutlass Empire,
"Among the Brethren of the Coast we tykes no wimmen save in passing, as it were, they being bothersome, frail and scatterbrained creatures. Instead we tykes a blood-brother, or matelot. A matelot, 'e fights along side o' yer, nurses yer if yer falls sick. What's 'is is yours and what's yours is 'is. . .