Friday 28 September 2012

Friday.


Back among the archives. The above picture was taken about1967, when we were on our way to the seaside (vide buckets and spades), probably Walberswick. It shows daughters Sarah and Ruth, with meself, and Rupert (the car) in the background. I mentioned the car in reply to a comment by Rog a day or so ago. It is shown with the rear windscreen up and the boot open, giving access to the two dickey seats. I think we must have been waiting for our friend Marion and her  youngest. The front seat was a bench seat that held three in comfort, and four at a squash. The car is a 1947 Triumph 1800 Roadster. I say 'is' because I am glad to say that  it is still around, and can sometimes be seen taking the air on a fine summer day in the Wickham Market area.



The above photo shows Ann with Humphrey, our first English setter. He was a handsome, dignified dog who loved children. I have seen him lying in front of the fire with three of our youngsters sitting side by side on him, using him as a sofa; with his tail thumping like a metronome.  I think this one was taken a year or so later, probably in 1968.

 I feel that I'm taking a leaf out of Z's book with this one - 'dogs I have known, and loved'-, but I'm sure she won't mind.

19 comments:

Liz said...

Nice car!

I love old photographs.

Unknown said...

Thank you Liz. In that case I'll dig out some more. Regards to Steve.

Rog said...

Wow what a "cool dude" with the wheels!

Very nice pics and lovely setter

Unknown said...

Thank you Rog.

I have been asked by Ann to state that this photo was taken in the days when EVERYONE wore a mini-skirt or dress.
In the interests of accuracy I would point out that I think the correct figure would be around fifty per cent of the population wore them.

Sir Bruin said...

I used to wear them. Very nice car, sir. Bet you wish you still had it!

Unknown said...

Hello Sir Bruin.
First paragraph :- Don't believe you!

Second paragraph :- Not really. Did wish that until a year or so ago, when we saw the car, and managed to attract the driver's attention. He stopped and we had a good look over the car, which was very decent of him. He had purchased it as something of a wreck a few years back, and restored the remains to working order. But what he'd had to do to it completely cured me of coveting it, although as I said, it's good to know it's still around.

Nea said...

Two of my favorite photos ever....brings back fond memories of .......... Dog ends :)

Maggie said...

How wonderful to see those photographs, takes me back a while!Have you noticed the uncanny likeness in the first photo to Matthew?

Humphrey, I have very fond memories of him, such a gentle dog. I have a photo of you posing with him. You are sitting on your shooting stick concentrating on your aim and Humphrey is sitting very obediently by your side looking in totally the wrong direction. I think I must have been about 15 when I took the photo, it was the same week I stayed over when the workmen were working on the front of the drive at the house and very kindly helped me over the planking and a very young Sarah was most indignant!

Unknown said...

Hello Nea. The comment re fag ends won't mean much to most readers, but we remember the incident. You were even younger then though, crawling rather than toddling.

Unknown said...

Hello Maggie. Yes, I can see the likeness between Matthew and meself (his grandfather), but Ann's brother Tim always says that Matthew is very like his Great-Grandfather Horner (our father); and I can see that likeness, too.

Crowbard said...

Wasn't that the car with the Ford Zephyr engine rigged into it?...
I've had a couple of Zephyrs (always wanted the Zodiac) and thought them as powerful as the Jags of the period.
And your Ann wore a mini exceedingly well! But then, I can't recall her wearing anything in which she didn't look fabulous!

Unknown said...

She'd certainly had an engine fitted that was around 500c.c. larger than the original one. Most sports cars of that period were, in my opinion, rather underpowered; and the alteration had left Rupert much 'pokier' than you'd expect.

On reflection, I think you're right.

Pat said...

I can see Ruth's daughters in the photo of Ann.

Unknown said...

I think you're right Pat. Tuva has her high cheek bones and Freja her colouring. Fortunate females both of them.

Lori Skoog said...

Mike and Ann....I just caught up again. Love the Triumph 1800 (back in the 60s I had an Austin Healy 3000 and would give a lot to have it today). Don't you love the long table for seating...big family! As per usual, you two have been traveling around the countryside. That beef stew looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Hello Lori. Good to hear from you. Yes, we manage to stay busy, as I know you both do. It's the best way.

Registrar: TRCL Inc said...

Can you remember the Roadsters Registration?
Triumph Roadster Club

Registrar: TRCL Inc said...

Do you remember the Roadsters Registration

Unknown said...

Yes. It was/is JYH 594.