Sunday 30 September 2012

Sunday.


Yesterday, Saturday, we went to the Horkey in the evening. A horkey, as I'm sure you all know, is the old name (probably local dialect) for the harvest home. This one was held in Saint Mary's Church, with the centre of the nave cleared. It was a combination of a very good supper of mainly local produce (certainly locally prepared), dancing to  music produced by local musicians, and a display of Morris dancing by a local Morris Dancing team. Very local this latter, as it was all done by St. Mary's Church Members. This, I fear, is where I'm going to disappoint my readers, for I'm afraid I neglected to take my camera along. Oh dry the starting tear...... (G. and S. Rog)  for I'm going to suggest two other sources for details of a Suffolk Horkey :- one is a poem by the Suffolk poet, Robert Bloomfield, which although first published in 1806, gives  a pretty fair picture of a Suffolk Horkey. The second source of a picture of the Horkey is fellow blogger Wendy, who blogs as wendywhitecat.wordpress.com  and who DID remember to take her camera along yesterday evening!!!

Now for the two sepia Dagguerotypes I show today.  The first shows your blogger with three of  our daughters. They are Ruth, Lizzie, and Sarah (left to right).   The second shows one of them in her pram. Without giving dates, I wonder if any of the family can tell me which. It should be easy, as in my opinion she's changed remarkably little.

Good guessing.

P.s. I reopen this blog to report that I've just checked Wendy's blog, and she has also published a video of the best item of the evening, which shows six children performing a Shepherds' Hey in Saint Mary's Church yesterday evening,  which was  the highspot of a lovely evening.  As a favour to yourselves -You must see it.

3 comments:

Pat said...

I'm guessing Sarah.
What a handsome Dad:)

Unknown said...

You're quite right Pat.
Thank you.

Unknown said...

P.s. That the photo is of Sarah.