Wednesday 19 September 2012




Took the above three photos just to prove there's quite a lot of colour still in the garden. The top picture shows a clump of lobelia, which has surprised us with the depth of  its colour. I always think of  lobelia as little border plants with lovely blue flowers, but I am assured  that this handsome, tall, red flowered plant is a lobelia. Must get a few more of them.
The middle photo shows roses, which are still colourful, and better still, full of buds.
The picture above shows (right to left) pansies, Michaelmas daisies, fuchsia, and hibiscus.



The above picture shows my anvils outside the forge/ workshop.  Earlier in the week Ann had decided to paint the forge, using some special paint for the purpose that sister-in-law Judy had given us. I said to Ann:-  "When you want to paint behind the anvil give me a call. I'll take the smaller one off, and then I think the two of us just might be able to move the heavy one forward, so as to paint behind it. PLEASE don't try and move it on your own".   A while later Ann called down to my cellar to come and look at the forge. All had been completed and she'd made a lovely job of it.   "How did you paint behind the anvil ?" I asked her.
"Oh, I moved it forward on my own."
"Did you take the smaller anvil out first?" I asked.
"No. I forgot".
Women...........are remarkable, aren't they?

10 comments:

Crowbard said...

I would cautiously (but ardently) agree that women are remarkable...
However I have always found that no matter how carefully I phrase my remarks about or to women, they seem remarkably prone to take the worst possible interpretation of my complimentarily intended efforts.
I find myself very nervous with the discussion of such matters and await being shot down in flames by all your delightful female bloggy fans!

Unknown said...

Dear Crowbard, I do understand and have two pieces of elder brotherly advice to give you when in the circumstances you describe :- the first is the old 'when in a hole - stop digging and apologise' or in my own words 'drop the shovel and grovel'; the second is Wodehouse's very practical advice to anyone in a similar predicament - 'climb the nearest tree, then pull it up after you'. I don't know if these will be of any real help, because I do feel that anyone who likes, and enjoys the company of, women as much as we do, must expect to be occasionally 'got at'. It is well worth it.

Crowbard said...

Bless you Big Bruv,
What spiffing advice, I shall essay a trial run on the tree thing as soon as I am sufficiently active & agile again. Will let you know how it turns out.... if and when I recover from the attempt!
Oh! How unjust that my Bruv should have such wit, such wisdom, such handsome charm & grace, whilst I have only the sympathy ploy to rely upon... bless the ladies for their sympathetic nature!

PS. Thought I might chuck a few 'Woe is mes & Lack-a-days' in there, but considered it might be over-egging the pudding a bit! Don't want 'em to think me unmanly, What!

Unknown said...

Ref your P.S. You're learning, dear boy, you're learning.

Maggie said...

Dearest brothers,I cannot understand why you are so worried, I don't have any problems with being called 'remarkable'!

your loving sister Maggie x

Unknown said...

Dear Maggie, you are perfectly right. It's a question of semantics; and I chose the word very carefully.

Unknown said...

Dear Maggie, I've just asked Ann (from a safe distance) if she objects to being called 'remarkable' and she entirely agrees with you that she doesn't have any problems with the description.

See Carl- all is well.
P.s. Last piece of advice - it aint wot you says. It's the way wot you sez it.

Crowbard said...

Remarkable Mike! Simply remarkable this Svengali-esque power you have over women!

Hi Maggles and Annie,
I don't believe I ever said you were remarkable - but that was because I've been told not to state the blindingly obvious...
Even amongst that most remarkable division of our society (Women of course) you must be two of the most remarkable people I know.

Crowbard said...

Pssst..
OK Mike I think I've got away with "remarkable", do you know any other safe words a bloke might safely apply to the exquisite gender without receiving a sharp stabbing pain in the eye? Or is it time to stop digging and apologise yet?

Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!

Ok Mike, I think I can fake genuine looking repentance, will I be able to slither past St. Peter at the Pearly gates?

Unknown said...

Crowbard -Ref 'psssst'. Generally speaking - lovely, charming, delightful. All (generally) true.