Monday 22 October 2012

Monday.


Been a pleasant, sociable sort of day. Spent this morning in the workshop, tidying up. Our old friends Jacques and Henriette came to lunch.  They are bulb dealers who started life in Holland (natch), and have spent most of their adult lives in Lincolnshire and Norfolk. They'd driven down to South Suffolk to collect a couple of pictures from a fellow dealer in Long Melford, then motored over to us, partly to have lunch and partly to collect a clock that I've been fixing for them.  Ann gave them chicken and celery soup with  bread rolls baked with chopped olives in them (all of which she made this morning), followed by a very decent cheese board, then coffee. I'd put a bottle of Piesporter in the fridge a couple of hours before they were due, and it went very well with the soup and the cheese. After lunch I went and collected Jacque's clock from my workshop and packed it. I  then took the above photo of the clock, with Jacques and Ann looking at it


Henriette asked if the photo was alright, and I said that I thought it could do with just a touch more glamour in it, so she came and sat on Jacque's lap while all three of them admired the clock, packed up ready for its journey. As they'd got a two hour drive ahead of them back to the North Norfolk coast they left just after three o'clock. Thy're ten years older than we are, and I find that reassuring, and hope we've got the same amount of energy in ten years time.
After they'd gone Ann needed to buy vegetables, and I had one or two things to do in town, so we drove into town, then on to our favourite farm shop, where we bought vegetables and I took the below photographs showing autumn colouring.  We then decided on a cuppa in the farm shop cafe. As we were about to leave the manager came over and dropped a bag of four large scones on our table. She said to Ann "We baked them this morning, so they'll freeze alright."    What a nice thing to do; can't imagine it happening in a large town.
As we got home the mist was thickening. Hope Jacques (still not sure of that spelling though) and Henriette got home alright.



8 comments:

Z said...

Sounds like a perfect lunch and a jolly good day.

Rog said...

Yes, I'm reassured by this. Also the story you mentioned of someone doing Lands End to John O-Groats on their 70th birthday.

Lori Skoog said...

I would love to have Ann make me one of her outstanding lunches! Yum.

Unknown said...

Zoe- a perfect description, thank you.

Rog. Yes, they are both over eighty, and obviously still enjoying life -

"Ah, what a lesson does it teach,
to all of us - that splendid speech!"

Lori. Well, all you have to do is cross the pond. You have a permanent lunch invitation.

Pat said...

In the middle od commenting I have had a long phone call and have lost the thread but I agree it seemed a lovely lunch party:)

Unknown said...

Thank you Pat. It was.

Nea said...

Are you sure about the scones... Maybe you forgot you'd ordered them, you know age and all ... (tee hee)

Unknown said...

Well, I certainly didn't pay for them. Oh, hang on, the police are hammering on the door................