Saturday 20 October 2012

Saturday.


First of all my apologies for not blogging of late. The reason being that a rather nasty tummy bug (to use a medical expression) has been rife in our town for some days. I have had it, but am glad to report that I think I'm past the worst, and even gladder to report that Ann seems to have escaped it. Because of this I have been unable to get out and about and take photies, so, once again, am having to fob you off with ancient ones. The top one was taken by sister Margaret, I think, in the high summer of 1970, and features your blogger, a shooting stick, an English flintlock long fowler, and our first English Setter, Humphrey. Maggie carefully posed the photograph (it isn't in any known shooting season - save possibly wood pigeons), but couldn't get Humphrey to participate - he would keep looking in the wrong direction. You will notice that Maggie has even managed to give him a halo, or possibly a thought bubble - if the latter there should be a big question mark therein followed by "What the Hanover do these idiots want me to do???"  I don't think it could have been a 'thought bubble' - he wasn't much given to deep thought, but on the other hand, although a perfect gentleman, I really don't think he qualified for a halo. We shall now, of course, never know.



This lower (black and white) photo is of daughters Ruth and Sarah; I think it was Ruth's first day at school, so would have been taken in early September, also in 1970. I think it's always been a favourite of mine.

8 comments:

Rog said...

Humphrey is saying "I should be lying in front of a nice log fire not listening to this banging stuff. And why has master got a stick up his bottom?"

I can see his point....

Unknown said...

No! No! Rog, the point sticks in the ground, not.... Oh, I see what you mean.

Unknown said...

No! No! Rog, the point sticks in the ground, not.... Oh, I see what you mean.

Crowbard said...

I can just see Humphrey sitting patiently beside St Peter at the Pearly Gates, saying "No I shan't come in just yet, I'm waiting for someone important with a sitting-down-stick, so I can expound my deepest philosophy of non-think to him."

Maggie said...

I have the photograph were Humphrey is looking the wrong way!

The girls look so sweet, as if butter wouldn't melt....what happened Sarah?!

stigofthedump said...

Pa, apart from our Ruby, best dog ever!
Maggie, you tell me, I was led astray by some teenager in pale pink satin hot pants!!!

Nea said...

Pa, apart from our Nipa, best dog ever and definitely deserves a halo!

Stigofthedump, reading that I remembered them, wasn't that the same teenager that taught us all the words to "she'll be coming round the mountain"?

Unknown said...

Yes, all the ones about "She'll be wearing.................". Fortunately I don't remember any details (and if you do, please don't remind me on this blog).

She was obviously a bad influence on you, that less than innocent auntie of yours (or, if you prefer it - that younger sister of mine).