Saturday 15 December 2012

Saturday.


Been a quiet day. Above photo is of eggs Ann buys at a farm gate a couple of miles up the road. Lovely colour. When I was a boy I was always told that brown eggs are the best, being more nutritious. In Sweden breakfast eggs are invariably chalky white, and we were told that this is because white eggs are far more nutritious!!!!!!  I wonder who starts these things?


Took the above photo of  frozen silver birches on a river bank on Thursday at Nordelph (this is -or used to be- pronounced Nardle by the natives- it's in Norfolk, of  which I'm a native).



Above is the clock I've been working on this week. It's an old acquaintance. It fell off the shelf where it lives (in Cambridgeshire) and sustained several minor, and one major, injury, which I've been attending to. It's now up and ticking, but I'm not altogether satisfied with it. We'll see. It's an anonymous, country made,  English Regency bracket timepiece; i.e. it only shows the time on its dial - no strike work (but it has a fusee movement) . Built around 1830.

Scents of lamb and rosemary are drifting downstairs, so I'd better drift upstairs and make meself presentable for supper.

5 comments:

Sir Bruin said...

I'm going to display my towering ignorance now. I always thought the the colour of the egg was determined by the breed of hen that laid it?

Unknown said...

I think that's true Steve (well by and large it is) - but I think there are all sorts of factors that can effect this. I'm reliably informed that the colour of the eggshell has no affect on the nutritional value of the egg, but I still prefer brown eggs, largely I suppose because of what I was told as a child. Children must be both gullible and retentive (the retentive bit being at a subconscious level ?)

Z said...

Our chickens lay eggs with deep yellow yolks and it makes them look so much healthier than pallid ones, though I know it's because we give them corn.

The trees and hedgerows were beautiful in the frost, weren't they?

Unknown said...

We always enjoyed keeping chickens. Our senior daughter still does. And yes, the frost made everywhere LOOK lovely.

Unknown said...

We always enjoyed keeping chickens. Our senior daughter still does. And yes, the frost made everywhere LOOK lovely.