Thursday 17 January 2013

Thursday.


This morning on the front page of the Telegraph was a news item headed 'Horsemeat in burgers for years', and next to it a cartoon by Matt, illustrated above, in which Matt had quite surpassed  himself as a humourist, although I, as a father, couldn't quite believe any father could be such a meanie as the one in the cartoon.

 A couple of hours later we motored out to our favourite farm shop in order to stock up against the coming bad weather which has been forecast. We planned to buy vegetables at the farmshop, have lunch there, then go and have a look at a new supermarket which has recently opened on the outskirts of town. The farm shop  butchery was displaying the below notice which was, I think, having a dig at the new supermarket.  Ah well, competition is good for business,  I suppose.


6 comments:

Sir Bruin said...

"What would you like on your burger?"

"I'll have a fiver each way"

Unknown said...

"What would you like on your burger?"

"Horseradish sauce."

Unknown said...

P.s. Or, as we have horseradish sauce with beef, the answer "cowradish sauce" might be the more subtle reply (?)

Crowbard said...

With no apology I am a rational omnivore, I could probably survive without meat but it would be against my nature. This is not about preference or choice, primates happen to have evolved as omnivores.
The problem is that I am also an emotive and emotional omnivore with an evolved irrational tendency to go all soft and gooey over fluffy kittens, lambkins and babies and such. Most vegetarians would not turn a hair at my dining in a public restaurant on a properly cooked cuddly lambkin with mint sauce. What is the problem if I should choose to do so upon fluffy kittens or pony steaks?
Should not people who criticize horse-meat on the menu abstain from all animal flesh to avoid hypocrisy. I'm sure hypo-critters (horses) would not be concerned about being eaten after they are properly dead and I suspect it is more our muddled and evasive attitudes to death which produce all this nonsense about who or what one may properly consume! Equal rights for cannibals?... But I'm too squeamish to request membership of that group, except in extreme circumstances. Homo irrationalis seems to govern Homo sapiens.

Pat said...

That's naughty!

Crowbard said...

I do apologize Pat, but I have always been shamelessly naughty... however hard I try to be nice! I've needlessly shot a few birds in my youth, which I regret; and with a clear conscience put down a few pets as humanely as possible when I judged they needed to go - and (with medical approval) pulled the plugs on a loved one for the same reason. Oddly I feel very little regret for the eels and fish I've caught, killed and consumed. How we feel about what we kill and eat is mostly acquired social conditioning don't you think?