Tuesday 29 January 2013

Tuesday.


This morning went to lip-reading class. I got permission from Jill, our teacher, and took a couple of photoes of the class. They both came out thoroughly fuzzy, so I haven't used them. Instead, I've just been into the garden and taken the above snapshot of snowdrops (using flash). At least they show that spring is on its way.

 I had every intention of doing a blog entry about lip reading. It is perhaps just as well that I'm not going to as this blog might turn into a whinge about how annoying deafness can be!
After lunch spent most of the rest of today doing odd jobs in the workshop; mainly been doing up a bog standard (ordinary, Lori) Spanish miquelet flintlock pistol. Must get into the habit of taking 'before and after' photos. Might do an 'after' one when the job is done.  When  we'd eaten this evening (fish pie) followed by leftover trifle from our lunch party yesterday, we had a game of scrabble - close run thing it was, too, as the Duke of Wellington said of Waterloo, although he used rather more soldierly language, I'm afraid.

Any way, as Ann's just gone up the wooden hill, I suppose I'd better close this blog entry and follow her up. So.. Goodnight All.

8 comments:

Rog said...

I think it must be these early nights that are the secret of your continual thrashing of my good self at the noble Scrabble

Unknown said...

Cause or effect Rog ? Could be that the effort required to play you at scrabble leaves me so knackered that I have no alternative but to crawl off to bed.
It might cheer you to know that I am, at present, being regularly thrashed by Zoe - at scrabble that is.

Unknown said...

P.s. I do think though, that at our level of the noble game, the result depends almost entirely on the letters that we draw.
Keeps the old grey matter churning anyway.

Unknown said...

Hello Mike, can you please y tell me if i could possibly buy the primitive Quaker clock that you illustrated ln 2011? I collect primitive clocks and thought you did a great job with it. Please contact me on ll.borrett@ntlworld.com Many thanks Lee Borrett

Unknown said...

Hello Lee. Sorry, I can't help you at the moment. I had two Quaker clocks through my hands that year, and I don't think either of them are for sale. However, one of them belongs to a godson of mine, and I will ask. I agree with you, they are very satisfying clocks, and rather favourites of mine too. I do enjoy English lantern clocks as well -- and also early country thirty hour long case clocks.

Lyssa's Testament said...

What an absolute joy your blog is especially since I have an interest in Suffolk (mainly the east coast and the road from Lowestoft to Ipswich, and around Wangford)and have been researching it historically for a while.
The photos are wonderful as are the comments, and I love the little daily trials, tribulations and joys (more of those than the others) you both have. I shall put your blog into my favourites so that I can come back and enjoy the county from time to time. Please don't stop.

Unknown said...

Dear Mrs. Chum-Chay, thank you so much for your comment - nice to be appreciated.
Regards, Mike and Ann.

Lori Skoog said...

"Bog Standard." Before you know it I will have an entire dictionary.