Sunday 17 March 2013

Tuesday March 12th.


Snapshot of two green finches taken through the kitchen window this morning (Sunday).
                                                ___________________________________

Now resuming journal of my hospital stay:-
Ann and Matthew joined me at 2.30 p.m. and, as Ann brought in our Travel Scrabble set we played a three handed game on my bed table. Led most of the way through but near the end of the game Matt made a brilliant score of over fifty points which put him just in the lead. I then got out by putting my last three letters down for a score of five,  but as Matt's remaining three tiles had a score of eight points, I won by about four points. Really good close finish to an exciting game.
We were told that my angeogramme at Papworth has been put off from tomorrow until Thursday, which means that I won't be home until Friday at the earliest. Bit frustrating.
Ann and Matt went home at about 5 p.m.   Just before he left Matt told me that he intends to prune our roses in the morning. Checked with Ann and she says that  Yes, he really does know how to do this!
People never cease to surprise me.

Am taken, by ambulance, from Bury St. Edmund's to Papworth on Thursday morning. Have the angeogramme on Thursday afternoon, and am eventually informed that- yes, as I was told at Bury St. Edmund's hospital- I've had a heart attack, but that there is no narrowing, or furring up, of my arteries.  Which seems to be good news, but  means that no one knows why I've had a heart attack, and this in turn means that I will be treated with drugs/tablets.  On Friday morning I see several people who all tell me that most of my drugs have been changed again, and why.   Ann comes in at about midday to pick me up, as instructed by hospital. We then have to see three more people, at long intervals, and are told that when the pharmacist has time to fit us in and issue some more drugs we can go home. Finally hit the road at about 3.45p.m. and arrive home at just after five p.m.     Paul, a fellow inmate at Bury, who came to Papworth just after me, is still waiting for his angeogramme when we leave, and has just been told that he will perhaps have it later this afternoon (Friday - I had mine on Thursday afternoon, so cannot complain, although as I think I said earlier - communications are not good here).

It is  REALLY GOOD to be home.



7 comments:

Sir Bruin said...

Mother had some time in Papworth a couple of years ago. Speaking as a visitor, rather than a victim, I found it to be far better than Ipswich when it came to communication.

As an aside and with reference to your previous post (and also with due deference to your blood pressure), I have to say that Mrs B and I quite like a bit of art deco.
Is it too late to say, "Sorry"?

Unknown said...

Hello Sir and Lady B. Ref communications in local hospitals - Between the two you mention - it is a close run thing in my opinion, with B.S.E. leading.
Ref Art Deco - as I can just remember it being in fashion, it cannot, of course qualify as antique.
Warm regards, Mike.

Pat said...

So glad you are back where you belong.
No place like it:)

Sir Bruin said...

Now then, you have intrigued me. I have briefly researched the age at which an object can be considered an antique. The Oxford dictionary defines an antique as "an object that has a high value because of its age and quality". I would suggest that some items can be of low value and/or low quality and still be considered antique. UK Customs consider anything older than 100 years to be antique for the purposes of the thievery that masquerades as import duty. Further opinion seems to vary, with anything between 25 years and 50 years being the cut off point. I now have two questions for you:
1. Where, precisely, do you stand on the age requirement for an antique?
2. Is your objection to art deco based on the fact that it is not antique, or do you just not like the stuff?

Apologies for the lengthy missive, but I am at that enquiring (but not antique)age.

Unknown said...

How right you are, Pat!!!

Unknown said...

Dear Sir B., In my opinion, the date I quoted earlier is probably the most fitting one for 'antique', i.e. 1830, for the reason given earlier, that after 1830, we are into the period of the Industrial Revolution. Before that date (broadly speaking) things were hand made, rather than factory made. There are, of course, exceptions. Being more realistic about things, probably a date of a hundred years old would be satisfactory.
Ref Art Deco, I admire some of it, rather than like it. When I was young my grandmother had a 'best' tea service of Clarice Cliff porcelain, which was thought of as being 'quite the latest thing' - bright, clear colours, yellow, white and black, I seem to remember, but great care had to be taken with it, so I fought shy of it rather. It would probably be quite valuable now, but I still wouldn't want it. What I really do dislike is Art Neauveau- late Victorian/Edwardian - ghastly attenuated, distorted, Aubrey Beardsley stuff.
Someone said of Oscar Wilde that he wrote well but behaved rather Beardsley!!!
Nuff Said ?

Unknown said...

P.s. I like things that are well made, functional, and satisfying.