Monday 13 May 2013

Monday.




Went to a funeral today. Odd thing - we have to go to another funeral next week too. Both men were friends of ours, both were around seventy, and both died from leukemia.
The service today was held at Halstead Crematorium. After the Service we went back to the post service get together, which was held at John's old home at Sible Hedingham in North Essex. Whilst we both love Suffolk, we agreed that there is a lot to be said for the scenery and buildings of North Essex. I know Essex is supposed to be one of the more boring counties, but people who hold this view without knowing Essex, might be pleasantly surprised by a lot of the north Essex area.
To support that last statement I produce the three above photos taken through the car windscreen whilst running into Sible Hedingham from the South. The whole town has a seedy, run down look to it, but if you look at the three photos I think you'll agree that, given a lick of paint and some T.L.C., (tender, loving, care Lori) all the above buildings are handsome examples of early English architecture.  I rests me case.

Good night All.

6 comments:

Rog said...

Agreed - large parts of Essex are a revelation to me who grew up looking across a Grays and Tilbury. I thought Sybil Heddingham was an actress also.

Unknown said...

Rog - perhaps I was having my leg pulled all these years about where John lived. No, I've just looked at a map, and if she is an actress she's a very famous one - she's on the map.

Lori Skoog said...

We use TLC too. Ha ha. I forwarded your comment to Ariana and she said to tell you "thank you" and "how sweet."
Could not find your email address. We have had a fire going for the past couple of days as the temperature was down to freezing. Nice to see you relaxing in front of your fireplace.

Unknown said...

Hello Lori. I wasn't sure if T.L.C. was one of yours or one of ours. What weird seasons we are having lately! We were promised snow flurries today, but I'm glad to say - didn't see any.

Pat said...

I have a thing about crossed legs and even told MTL's oncologist not to do it.

(It's bad for your health) Whereupon he assured me he cycled to work every day.
Sorry! I must grow out of it.

Unknown said...

Pat; it's a nurse's thing. Ann's always doing it. In hospital, if you're lying on a trolley, or reading in bed, I guarantee the first nurse who comes along will say "Don't cross your legs. It's bad for you."
I've just checked the reasoning for this one with Ann, who says "It's bad for the circulation and can give you thrombosis". I do love nurses, although they're such a set of bossy-breeches!