Monday 10 June 2013

Monday.

This afternoon we motored into Ipswich to visit an old friend (in every sense -she is approaching her ninetieth  birthday) who is in hospital. On our way in we passed the door illustrated. It fascinates me, this cowardy custard of a door.  I mean we all feel a little apprehensive when going into a hospital -even when visiting, but this door (which has been there long enough to get used to being a hospital door) openly and cravenly admits to being alarmed about being a hospital door - is that the spirit that won the Empire?

Be that as it may, we eventually located Sylvia, who, on Saturday evening had fallen in her garden and busted her right hip, been removed to hospital, had the hip pinned on Sunday, and was feeling pretty groggy when we first got there. 
She brightened up after a bit, and told us that she'd first fallen in her rose garden, struggled to get up, and fallen again, this time onto her crazy paving. As she lay there she opened her eyes and spotted a weed near her face and then saw several others. She told us that she then thought that , as she was down there, she'd better do a little  weeding. So she lay there and cleared quite an area. Then she heard her next door neighbour moving about in his garden and shouted for help, he 'phoned for an ambulance; she had her hip pinned on Sunday, and  ended up where we found her this afternoon. And that, my friends IS the spirit that won the Empire- weeding the garden while you're down there!.





                                    -----------------------------------------------------------

Took the below photo through the windscreen coming home. It's a house in part of which we lived for three or four years in the mid 1970s.  A lovely old place, a manor house built in the 1400s.

8 comments:

Rog said...

A door able post Mike!

Love the tale of the weeding - true Brit spirit to which we should all aspire. Although Mrs R would accuse me of not knowing my weeds from my flowers. Or my grass from my elderflower.

Liz said...

Wow. I shall be pleased to be even half as feisty as your friend when I reach that age. I hope she makes a full recovery.

Unknown said...

Thank you Rog. I suppose weeds are easier as such to recognise when they're in the cracks of the crazy paving.

Thank you Liz. So do we.

stigofthedump said...

Lovely photo, felt like I spent most of my childhood there, not a few years!! Lots of very happy memories, thank you!
Getting late (late supper due to workaholic husband!!) so will call you tomorrow for major help with cross word!
Love you
Stig x

Z said...

I do appreciate such a splendidly practical spirit. I do hope she's up and about again soon.

Unknown said...

Hi Sal. I suppose you spent your early to mid teens there, so the place would loom large in memory for you. It was a nice home.

Unknown said...

Hello Zoe. That's just how I felt, and I think she probably will be.

Pat said...

An amusing and moving post.
What a great old lady.