Tuesday 2 July 2013

Tuesday.



                                                Mystery object.
                                                ____________

Above photographed mystery object is not antique. It is an object I made and engraved  myself about ten days ago, from a sheet of thin (about a 16th of an inch thick)  white oxhorn, purchased from a supplier of horn based in Northumberland. It measures just over seven inches in length and two inches across at the widest point. It was made to replace a missing part  from an antique object that I was restoring. What do you think it became a part of? And what period and nationality do you think I was copying? When everyone's done guessing I'll  put up a photo of the restored object with the part in situ.  I must debar Crowbard from answering (not that I think he'll take much notice of his debarment) because I sent him this illustration when I had just made it, as I needed to consult him as to its suitability. He approved.

7 comments:

Rog said...

Is it a clock hand for a Norse or Scandinavian timepiece?

Unknown said...

I can see what you mean Rog, but no. I think it's the Green Man that's misleading you, and he's found all over Europe.

Maggie said...

Well the engraving looks like the 'Green man'. I think it is part of a hippy tie circa 1967?

Unknown said...

I rather agree Maggie; butt No, you're not very near at all.

stigofthedump said...

Was your comment to Maggie a clue?? You sly old devil you??!!
My guess is therefore a butt plate!!
Much love Stiggy

Unknown said...

Stig, your father may be a 'sly old devil' but he sired a clever old thing when he got you! Well spotted.

Unknown said...

P.s. Please would all readers now go to my next blog entry (Wednesday 3rd July).