Saturday 3 August 2013

Saturday.


Yesterday  at tea time we were having a cuppa in the garden, when I was able to take the above snapshot on the Buddleia of this superb butterfly; a Peacock, you will note, Rog.


This afternoon Scrabble Club met at Hilary's, and after our usual three games (won the first two - the third one was won by Phyllis, who scored a seven letter word near the end of the game, and eventually beat me by about ten points). After the games Hilary took us into her garden, where the  Above snapshot shows  Kevin, Ann, Hilary and Phyllis.
Hilary wanted to show us the below pictured  lily, which has sprung up this year, self seeded. As you can see, it's a lovely plant; it has  a glorious scent, and is full of buds. Can anyone tell me the name of it? Hilary would love to know; and do these things usually self seed ?


7 comments:

Crowbard said...

Hi Mike,
That is a lily called Stargazer - or a very clever facsimile. Three sepals offset behind three almost identical petals, the speckled red colour with the spiky yellow triangles in the middle of the petal-base and the waxy white amorphous border. Leaf should have a strong central vein with several lesser veins leading out to the leaf edges. Andthey have a strong, delicious aroma. Then the naughty bits in the middle - central yellow stalk projecting through about three pollen covered lobed branches. They must grow from seed but I've only ever bought them as bulbs or cut-flowers.

Z said...

Seven points at the end of the game really takes the wind out of the opponent's sails doesn't it? The lily is a beauty, if it's self seeded it may not be a named variety, better hang on to it and propagate it.

Z said...

I didn't mean seven points, obviously. I meant sev - oh, you know what I meant!

Unknown said...

Thank you Crowbard. I knew you or Judy would know. I passed your comment to Hilary, and she says I took the photie a day too soon - several more flowers have now opened.

Unknown said...

Hello Z. I knew what you meant. I suppose we should have said 'all seven letters used in a word giving an extra fifty points, but that's a bit of a mouthful. I've heard people speak of it as a 'scrabble' or a 'bingo' - there should be a nice compact word for it.

I passed your comment on to Hilary and she is quite excited about the possibilty.
A few years ago a friend of ours in Sussex found a small self seeded apple tree in his garden, took one of the apples along to....... the Apple Society I thin, and they told him it was a new apple and said he could name it, which he did. 'Puck's Pippin', I think he called it.

Pat said...

Speaking of scrabble I seem to have lost you as an opponent.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. Been trying to get you on Facebook Scrabble, without success. Could you give it a try, please. I seem to have lost the knack.