Thursday 16 April 2015

Thursday.


Been a pleasantly busy week so far, but I've been snapping away whenever the chance presented itself, and got the odd printable photograph  ..... so here goes.... On Monday we motored over to Ely. Took the back lanes to Bury Saint Edmund's, got a bit lost, and came across the above thatched cottage, with a pond (surrounded by daffs) in front of it. A hefty chain link fence has been erected between the cottage and the pond, which seemed rather a pity until the thought came to me that the people in the cottage  had probably recently started a family and the fence had been raised to prevent the children falling in the pond. Nice to think, if so, that children were still being raised in such a pretty cottage!


Had coffee in the gardens most mornings, and realised that the tiny plants in with the bonsaied yew tree were again in flower- they match the size of the tree. The tree is less than a foot high, and the pink flower shown is about a quarter of an inch in diameter.


The small apple tree espaliered along the fence is once again in flower. It has a small, crisp red apple. Can't remember the name of it- something like a Winchester red ??? (but don't quote me).


Same tree again, but from a bit further away.


The above orchid has been in bloom since before Christmas, and is now showing new buds, whilst the old flowers are still blooming.  I grew up believing that to grow orchids needed a heated greenhouse as they were supposed to be very difficult, sensitive plants. No such thing though - they are as tough as old boots,  flower for months and  then start all over again.

Must knock off now - and  get on with the  loads of work waiting for me in the workshop.

4 comments:

Crowbard said...

That "Winchester Red" apple reminds me about the "Winchester green" cucumber. It had a reputation for being a reliable repeater...

Pat said...

Could the apple be Worcester Pearmain? That and Ribston Pippins were my first (and last) apple trees along with an ancient Bramley.

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard/ Pat. I'm told by Ann that the apple is a Red Windsor 'Sweet Lilibet', which I suppose means that it was named after our Queen when she was the Princess Elizabth. It's not unlike a Worcester Pearmain, Pat, but not quite so sweet.

Crowbard said...

Ah well, another "smokin' vegetable" jest sunk without trace ~ if I'm not repeating myself.....
I must not lower the tone of the blog
I must not lower the..... x100...