Wednesday 19 August 2015

Wednesday.


All three of today's photos are of Hibiscus trees.  The two above are rather taking over their corner of the garden, and I'd been thinking of taking out the one nearest the garden shed (especially if it could be transplanted - friends of ours would like it - if it could be done). Today our 'jobbing gardener' gave us a couple of hours 'tidying up' and I picked his brains over the hibiscus. He didn't think much of the chances of transplantation, but suggested that 'a bit later in the year' I try and 'shape them to the area' rather than taking one out. Well, he's the expert, so that was decided upon. But it gave me the chance to make a Roglike jest or funny." I shan't take too much out of the tops of the trees" , I told him "Or our hibiscus will become a  lowbiscus."  He rather liked it!

 



The above plant is still a hibiscus - Hibiscus Bluebird, and years ago it was considered the only hibiscus that could stand up to the British climate. So much for climate change. This one grows in our neighbour's garden.

Tomorrow looks like being a busy day - coffee with friends - lunch with other friends- and a lantern clock I've always liked,  to have  minor (I hope) surgery on, to be done in situ.    Oh well. We'll see.
                                          _____________________________________

                                                            Goodnight All.

3 comments:

Pat said...

I have the top hibiscua and it has really spread itself this year. I plan to cut it back drastically. But what do I do about camellias? All four are invading the lawn.
Is it safe to cut them back now?
My new gardener - although hard working - is as knowledgeable as my other one - not very.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. Our 'jobbing gardener' recommended that we leave trimming the hibiscus until 'later in the year'. I think this probably means October/November time, and I'm going to leave it til the latter month - November, to be safe. They're lovely little trees, aren't they?

Z said...

Ideally, camellias are pruned as soon as they finish flowering, I believe, Pat. You won't harm them by cutting them back now, as far as I know, but you will lose many of next year's flower buds.