Thursday 17 September 2015

Thursday.



Been a busy week, I'm glad to say, although I always find when I'm busy that I tend not to keep as up to date with the blog as I'd like.  This lunch time however I managed to take a couple of  decent photies of a goldfinch. Should have been two goldfinches, but this chap's father, who, conscientious chap, was still feeding his offspring a few seconds before I took this; is also a wily old bird, and camera shy. Still,  managed to get the two photoes above. The goldfinch, in my opinion, is the prettiest of all our small birds.  I'm sorry to say that I've seen them being sold as cage birds (and very small cages they were in, too) in Malta, seven or eight years ago.

Nearly bed time, so I wish you all a very good night.
Warm Regards, Mike and Ann.

4 comments:

Crowbard said...

You're right Mike they are little charmers who became very scarce but seem to be making a bit of a recovery. Coincidentally, we had a couple of males (probably not the same father and son as yours) nibbling off a fat-&-seed ball hung on our front garden cherry-tree only yesterday. It was the first time I'd seen any in years. Doesn't the Bible advocate the liberation of captives? Luke 4:18 (Presumably this applies even to finches in Malta).

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard. The two reason's I think they were father and son is that the other bird (who flew) was slightly more brightly marked than this chap, but the main reason was that he was feeding the one photographed.

Unknown said...

P.P.s I'm afraid I really couldn't afford your implied suggestion that I purchase all the caged goldfinches I could see in the market in Malta in order to release them. The Maltese are good hagglers, and it would not have been economically viable.

Crowbard said...

Your integrity does you credit dear Bruv.