Sunday 1 May 2016

Sunday.


Bunch of unusual carnations (Dianthus) which we saw in a local florists and which I bought for Ann (as part of my husbandly duties).


Above is a painting by daughter Ruth, which hangs in our hall. We holidayed with she and her husband Lasse in a ski cottage in the hills/mountains of Norway, which we hired in the SUMMER of 1991. There was a waterfall which we could hear from the cottage. Ruth painted a picture of it on a sheet of copper, which seemed to work well (look at the reflection of the water below the fall). I swam in the pool near the fall - this was a mistake, though. It was snowmelt water, and heartstoppingly cold!. I did one quick circuit of the pool, and was glad of a hand from the youngsters to climb out!


Above are shown two items, also in the front hall. Not mystery items; one is a large, Swedish, treen bowl, the other an English  joined stool. But they do have something very much in common. See if anyone can guess what it is.

8 comments:

Crowbard said...

Astonishingly handsome carnations, Mike. So many new varieties available now.
As I recall Mike, items made of elm timber lasted unusually well against damp,which was a frequent visitor to stone floors and mixing bowls. They could just possibly share a similar date of manufacture but are unlikely to have been made by the same craftsman. The most certain commonality is that they are both treen items, but that is hardly an answer worthy of the question. So I'll stick with my first idea, they're both made of elm.

Unknown said...

The stool is made of oak. The bowl is cut from a very large burr from a silver birch. You've got the answer in your comment. Keep trying. I must take another photo or so to make my point.

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard. The stool is made of oak

Unknown said...

P.s. Ignore last comment . Shouldn't be there.

Crowbard said...

OK Mike, I'll stick my neck out and say they are both late 17th century handcrafted timber household items.

Unknown said...

Very daring of you, Crowbard. For the answer (as I see it) please look at next blog entry (Tuesday 3rd May, 2016).

Pat said...

I love Ruth's picture.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Pat. So do I. She's a clever artist, and, I should think, a very good teacher.