Sunday 9 October 2016

Sunday.

These are by way of being mystery objects. They are not really mystery objects but coins. They are very unlike each other in almost every way, but they do, in fact, have something very much in common. See if you can guess what it is. I think that Crowbard and indeed Rog may very well have a good idea. P.S. I should have said :- the larger coin is just over one and a half inches in diameter and very thick - over an eighth of an inch (and weighs two ounces). The smaller coin is about half an inch in diameter. Hope this helps. Warm Felicitations to you all.

2 comments:

Crowbard said...

I believe the larger copper coin to be a 2d piece of George III, I initially thought the silver Victorian coin to be a groat (4d) then it occurred to me that she also issued silver maundy 2d pieces; so I'm guessing that face-value is the link between the two coins.

Unknown said...

Well done, Crowbard; you are quite right. They are both two-penny (or tupenny, as we'd have said) pieces, and they each contain two penny worth of the metal of which they are made.