Monday 13 February 2017

Monday.



Ann was wearing the above photographed brooch  a weekend or so ago, and reminded me of an incident when she wore it some years ago at a major sale  room. It's  a big old clunk of  a brooch, of a type known as 'silver on russet iron'.  We were viewing an Arms and Armour sale at (Ann tells me) Sotheby's of Billingshurst, when one of the Directors with whom  we'd been chatting spotted the  brooch, took Ann by the coat lapels and said in  a tone of astonishment "But that's seventeenth  century!"

Ann got  the  answer absolutely right. She said "I know it is. Put me down please."

It was pretty to see his embarrassment "Oh, Mrs. Horner. I'm so  sorry, I forgot meself,  but  it's such a lovely thing........."

I could sympathise to some extent.  It's the sort of thing you see in a museum cabinet, rather than still in use.
.



4 comments:

Rog said...

Haha! He didn't mention the brace of 17th Century duelling pistols and 16th Century Sabre you always wear round your waist?

Mike said...

No. He's used to me.

Maggie said...

It's a beautiful brooch, it would be a shame not to wear it. Does Ann still wear the lovely pendant you made for her from clock parts? I always admired it!

Mike said...

Hello Mag. I think you must be remembering the silver clock hand pendant I made for her. And yes, she does. I've made similar ones for the daughters when they reach fifty - Sarah, Ruth, and Kerry coming up. I've enough sheet silver over for Lizzie's, and eventually for the granddaughters when they reach ......., or perhaps that's a bit optimistic?